Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German Butcher bayonet

Article about: Another of my purchases at the Liverpool Arms fair on 22nd June. I had gone there with the express intention of acquiring a nice bayonet to go alongside the Gew98 rifle I recently purchased.

Default German Butcher bayonet

Another of my purchases at the Liverpool Arms fair on 22nd June. I had gone there with the express intention of acquiring a nice bayonet to go alongside the Gew98 rifle I recently purchased. I got there for the preview, but the only bayonets I could find were both in rather rough condition. Another dealer I know told me that I had just missed out on a good one he had, and I was beginning to think my luck had run out.

I just happened to be passing the stall of Bill Tagg of Liverpool Militaria when something on his rack of swords caught my eye. Obviously the bayonet has been re-finished, but Bill was of the opinion it might have been done for re-issue during the period of the Weimar Republic. it certainly looks to be a factory re-finish anyway. Apart from one small dent to the scabbard and some wear to the finish on the blade, there is nothing wrong with it.

Click on pictures to enlarge.

German Butcher bayonetGerman Butcher bayonetGerman Butcher bayonetGerman Butcher bayonetGerman Butcher bayonetGerman Butcher bayonet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Butcher bayonet
    P
    Many

?

She looks like a nice one. The finish is a tough call, at first I didn't like it at all, looked like it had been done recently. But, I think the flash could be causing the color to be too blue. A picture in natural light without the flash would help a lot. Also, normally on an arsenal rebuild/re-blue, the press stud would have been slotted, most of the time, but not always.

Jim

Hi Jim,

The finish on the handle and the scabbard is fine in natural light. Its the finish on the blade that I have my suspicions about! There's a bit too much purple/blue showing through for my liking., and on top of that the finish has worn off towards the tip - probably through withdrawing it from the scabbard. I'm tempted to remove the finish from the blade and leave the rest as it is, but I will think about it for a while. Thanks for your thoughts anyway.

Cheers,
    Steve.