Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

German butcher bayonet

Article about: Hello all, I have another questionable piece I would like to share... I purchased it about a year ago. A quick history on this bayonet (M1898). The last owner told me that his father was a d

Default German butcher bayonet

Hello all,

I have another questionable piece I would like to share... I purchased it about a year ago.

A quick history on this bayonet (M1898). The last owner told me that his father was a doctor and he did a lot of charity work in his community. He offered his services to those that couldn’t afford to pay him. One gentleman gave his father this bayonet as a form of payment (He didn’t want to take it but the gentleman insisted). I was informed that his father had this piece for over 35 years before he passed. It was then given to him and he’s had it for the past 20 plus years.

I purchased this piece from him because it was very inexpensive. I noticed that it doesn’t have a makers on either side of the ricasso. It only has the crown and proof mark on the spine.

I’ve read that it’s not uncommon to not have a makers mark, however, I’ve never seen one without a makers mark. I always wondered if this is an authentic bayonet or a decent fake? I have a few of these butcher type bayo’s and I’m always very impressed when I see it.

Hopefully, somebody can share some good news to a good story!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German butcher bayonet   German butcher bayonet  

German butcher bayonet   German butcher bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German butcher bayonet
    P
    Many

No worries. It's a nice original bayonet.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

It's not uncommon to find a butcher sawback without a maker mark. This may relate to use of sub contractors in the construction. Prussian 1915 acceptance, the black paint on the scabbard suggests this one may have been used as a parade side arm by an NCO. The sawbacks were popular emblem of office for NCO's.

Thank you for the info...

I’m glad to hear the bayo and the story are real! And... I was wondering about the black paint on the scabbard. I guess similar to the K98 parade bayonet/ scabbard?