Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

German helmet I just found can someone help with it?

Article about: I just found this and I paid 100 U.S. dollars for I thought it was a good deal. I dont know to much about these or what model. It looks like in good condition for the most part. It is missin

Default German helmet I just found can someone help with it?

I just found this and I paid 100 U.S. dollars for I thought it was a good deal. I dont know to much about these or what model. It looks like in good condition for the most part. It is missing a rivet in the back but I think I can find one for it?. And no chin strap. For the age and what I paid for it I think it's not bad. No camo on it but the interior of it looks nice. It does have a marking in the shell and its s1.66 ? and b? 785? ? ? and some other numbers?. As you can see in the picture is marked 1917 so I assume it's a m-17 model. Could someone help me out with the history of it? and whats up with that liner with the dark stuff? someone burnt it? Also around the front of the helmet like where you would take it from your head, it's worn in that area, if you know what I mean, you can tell its bin taken off a lot.

And the value ? I know its hard to say and the pictures are the best I can do. Looks better in person. Nice green finish butr with wear of course. I dont think it sat the war out, the greyish like paint in the inside is nice I think. Im going to give it to my son if it's worth more then 100 bucks so he can keep it and sell it one day.. I know you all are the pro's so thats why i ask for your help, thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02611.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	221148   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02608.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	221149  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02599.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	221150   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02604.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	221151  

Name:	DSC02597.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	221152   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02602.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	221153  

Name:	DSC02603.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	221154   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02609.JPG 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	221155  

Name:	DSC02607.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	221156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02605.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	221157  

Name:	DSC02601.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	221158   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02600.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	221159  

Name:	DSC02606.JPG 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	221160  

Default Re: German helmet I just found can someone help with it?

Hi,
    Nice german M17 helmet the colour is original and it,s in good shape, the rivet at the rear you will find is different to the front ones. You will find that the rear one is a little thicker, the liner i think is original to the helmet but the stain on the front pad i dont think is from burning. i have seen staines like this before from head wounds as the blood gets really dark over the years, But i might be wrong. anyway a good buy either way and worth more than $100 IMO.
    Dave.

i tried to get a picture of the rub spot from taking the helmet off and on, I think it's pretty neat
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02615.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	221173  

thanks dave. Iv bin sitting here looking around on the interent to find these helmets in this shape and I cant find anything, im just trying to get a price together, to see if it's worth getting a chin strap and a rivet, thats even if I can

Very nice helmet...................!
    Regards,

Steve.

Nice condition!!!

Regards

what would it be worth in this condition ?

odessa1, your helmet is a Model 1916 (M16), indicated by its full leather liner (M17's have a metal liner band) , "Si" is the maker mark for "Eisenhuette Silesia" of Paruschowitz in Oberschlesien, they made only sizes 62 and 66. The other marking "B?785??? is a heat lot code, it can only be "Bi", indicating that the batch of steel from which the helmet was stamped from, originated in the rolling mills in "Oberschlesien, Bismarkhutte". I am always suspicous of maker marked liners, but it looks like its been there for some time. It seems (from the photos) to have its original exterior paint, unless its your camera, the inside should be the same as the exterior, but appears to be of a shade of blue/grey, which is not original. I would say the helmet is worth around 200 ($300). The rear liner pin is indeed thicker than the other two, this was so the leather bandholding the armoured brow plate the "Stirnpanzer" (affixed to the helmet lugs/air vents) did not slip down during wear. Good reproduction pins can be sourced on E-Bay, as can the chin strap, which on this model was the chinstrap from a Pickelhaube, genuine ones are very expensive, so a good repro/replica could be used. Prost ! Steve.
    "The German Army is the perfectly adapted, perfectly running Machine. The difference is that the Germans are organised with a view to War...with the cold, hard, practical and business-like purpose of winning victories."
    G.W. Steevens - The Daily Mail (1897)

Hi,
    You can buy chin straps for them but not sure of the cost in the states, the rivet, you will probably have to put a repro in but you can buy them in sets. Im not sure of the value of the helmet, i have a complete one in my collection but not bothered about the price as it is a keeper.
    Dave.

thank you steve for your reply. This is why I post stuff on here when I find it becuase you guy's are the best when it comes to this stuff. I really do thank you all. 350 bucks? not to bad for a 100 dollar investment. I think dave is right though, it's hard to tell if it's blood or not on the liner, I just dont see anymore blood stains anywhere else. Steve looking at it closer there looks like a BI on it, just a little hartd to tell with the scratching on it. The liner looks real to me, has that old smell and everything else. I will look on ebay for a repro lug on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast