Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

German Honor Legion medal and Urkunde

Article about: This came in today,awarded to a Paul Loitz( i THINK i spelled his surname correctly)

Default German Honor Legion medal and Urkunde

This came in today,awarded to a Paul Loitz( i THINK i spelled his surname correctly)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Honor Legion medal and Urkunde
    P
    Many

Default Re: German Honor Legion medal and Urkunde

Scott...I always thought these were great looking medals ! even better to get the award certificate, nice set !
    bit of info on this award... the "Deutsche Ehrendenkmünze des Weltkrieges der Deutschen Ehrenlegion", (German Honorary World War Commemorative Medal of the German Legion of Honour) Awarded by the "Council of the Order" of the Union of Nationalist Soldiers to men or women who, during the WW1 and after, dutifully served the Fatherland.
    This bronze medal, either gilded or coppered. Noteworthy is the portayal of the winged Victory crowning a German soldier on the obverse. The reverse shows the Iron Cross 1st Class with oak leaves around the lower rim of the medal. Along the upper edge of the medal is the text "FÜRS VATERLAND" (For the Fatherland) in Gothic lettering. The ribbon is formed with the then German national colours.
    For frontline troops a combat emblem was created for attachment to the ribbon : a gilt oak leaf wreath with a sword across.
    This medal was first proposed in the autumn of 1917 but it took till 1921 before the "Council of the Order", which was to effect the actual awarding, was formed. Recipients had to pay for their medal themselves and could, if they so wished, be entered in the German Legion of Honour. This organization was divided in "Ritterschaften" (knight groups) and its members could call themselves "Ritter der Deutschen Ehrenlegion" (Knight of the German Legion of Honour).
    Early in the Third Reich era, awards like these were forbidden and the German Legion of Honour was merged with the Kyffhäuser Bund (the official veterans' organization).
    Prost ! Steve.

Default Re: German Honor Legion medal and Urkunde

Steve,thank you for taking the time to comment and add the additional info!