Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

German Imperial medal

Article about: Hi, I was wondering if anybody could ID this German medal which I have had now for thirty years. It is metal with an enamelled green laurel ring in the middle. The ribbon ring is missing. Th

Default German Imperial medal

Hi, I was wondering if anybody could ID this German medal which I have had now for thirty years. It is metal with an enamelled green laurel ring in the middle. The ribbon ring is missing. The front has an Imperial German crown, possibly an 'h' in gothic script and XXII, all gilded. The back has Fuer treue Dienste (For faithful service), again in gilt lettering. My guess has always been that it was issued between 1870 and WWI. Anyhow, enjoy the photos.

Default Re: German Imperial medal

German Imperial medalGerman Imperial medalAlexander, I do not know this particular award/medal, it is obviously a "For Service" medal, there were hundreds of this type of medal issued/given during and immediatly after the Imperial period, extending into the Weimar period, from most cities and States (as wartime service usually counted for double, when adding up time served !)...the shape of this one reminds me of the Austro-Hungarian "Military Order of Maria Therasa" see attached photo....but IMO it is German, I am erring on the side of the Principality of "Reuss" a former small Imperial State, now in the current state of "Thuringia", this State was ruled by a series of Princes, all named "Heinrich", hence the stylised "H", see attached image. We will have to see if any other members come forth to positivley identify the medal.
    Prost ! Steve.

?

ws60, how do you come to that conclusion ?..........its a similiar shape as I have said and shown in post #2, but thats where the simularity ends. There are three grades of the Maria Theresa cross, 1) The Grand Cross 2) Commanders Cross 3) Knights Cross, Alexanders cross is none of them, so how have you come to the decision its a Maria Theresa Cross ? please enlighten us.
    Last edited by oradour; 03-17-2011 at 06:35 PM.

Thanks for your line of thought, Oradour. The medal comes from my mothers' side of the family which is German / Austrian. I had wondered if it could be Austrian, though the crown looks, to me, Imperial German. Her folk from way back came from near Gleiwitz and the Reisengebirge country of the old Sudentengau. Both had German and Austrian influences, so I guessed it may have come from there. Thurigia is a possiblity but I am not aware of any family history from there (though as a kid we were based 20 miles from the East German border and I often had a look into Thurigia from the Bavarian side of the 'trace'). Thanks again, Oradour.

?

Quote by oradour View Post
    ws60, how do you come to that conclusion ?..........its a similiar shape as I have said and shown in post #2, but thats where the simularity ends. There are three grades of the Maria Theresa cross, 1) The Grand Cross 2) Commanders Cross 3) Knights Cross, Alexanders cross is none of them, so how have you come to the decision its a Maria Theresa Cross ? please enlighten us.
    I’m not talking about Alexander cross; I thought that you have the same question on your picture. If you wish to have my ‘sorry’, you must try to talk another tone with not so much ambitions.

Quote by ws60 View Post
    I’m not talking about Alexander cross; I thought that you have the same question on your picture. If you wish to have my ‘sorry’, you must try to talk another tone with not so much ambitions.
    ws60,

The discussion is about the first photograph, not the ones oradour posted, as I believe he stated in his post that they were examples that were similar to the medal in question. His question on your confusion of which medal was being discussed was not out of the ordinary. I understand that with posts or emails there is confusion at times when not face to face with another collector. That said, I have a question. Does "my 'sorry' " mean an apology? IMHO I think you really need to use a better translator.

Anton
    Last edited by AntonEbans; 03-18-2011 at 09:09 AM.

?

Anton thanks for advice. What a translator you used?

mm i dont think its Austrain..as i was thinking of that....i have had a look through my referance sites..no thing like it...and i agree with steve on the possibility of the Principality of "Reuss". .it is a great pity the ribbon is missing. will keep looking..

All we know is that, at times, fighting the Russians, we had to remove the piles of enemy bodies from before our trenches, so as to get a clear field of fire against new waves of assault.
    Paul von Hindenburg