Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

German M17 helmet?

Article about: I'd like your opinion on this helmet, Gentlemen, which I bought today at my local auction house. I believe that it is a German M17 helmet, though I am also thinking that it could be Austrian

Default German M17 helmet?

I'd like your opinion on this helmet, Gentlemen, which I bought today at my local auction house. I believe that it is a German M17 helmet, though I am also thinking that it could be Austrian due to the position of the chinstrap pins. I think that it is a M17 due to the metal liner ring still insitu. I am not sure of the size, no markings are visible thru the heavy paint somebody put on it, though I think it may be a 66 or 68cm due to the shield bolts on the outside; no 'stepped up' rim on them.
    I am thinking of getting the thick paint removed professionally. It looks like a nice restoration project, or would it be best kept as a 'relic' once the paint is removed?
    It cost me £70 / $110.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German M17 helmet?
    P
    Many

Default Re: German M17 helmet?

German M16 with an M17 metal liner band. You are correct regarding the size. Jim G.

IMO it would be nicer if you removed the paint and apply a better one closer to the original color used in WWI. Is this color mat or gloss? Maybe it's the flash that makes it shine?
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Hi, the paint is a green gloss paint, almost like ship paint. I'm hoping to find some markings on the shell once the paint is off.

I know that the M18 made away with the chinstrap pins as they were now attached to the actual liner, but I'm a bit confused by the pin locations of M16 & M17s, they seem in different places on several helmets I've looked at online. Some are more in the middle (when seen side on), some are higher up, some lower down on the shirt, and some helmets have them a little further to the back. Help!!!

To find out if it's a size 66 or a size 68. Take a cloth measuring tape and measure across the front, center to center, of the front two liner pins. A 66 will measure about 6.75 inches and a 68 will measure about 7.5 inches.
    By the way, a nice pick up.

Anton

I have now had the green paint professionally removed. As hoped, a set of marks have appeared; Q66. Firm of Quist, helmet is a 66cm size. The liner ring is still insitu, though corroded and one of the pin prongs is broken.

My next plan is to probably paint the helmet, there is a company on ebay that apparently sells correct RAL paint for WWI helmets. I would like to paint the shell for two reasons; to make it look better and, more importantly, to protect it from further rust.

After that, I may just leave it as a relic or maybe fit a repro liner and chin strap to it, to bring it back to life. Any views on this, gentlemen?

PS Thanks for the tip, Anton. I measured it before the paint came off and it just under 7 inches across, so guessed 66cm. Correct as it turns out.

?

If you intend to put another liner in thats where your problems could start, the pins could break, so they would need replacing, not easy to find originals, the liner ring would be repro, because the leather is attached to it, i would be tempted to leave as is but use renaissance wax on the shell without painting it , it looks more like old colour now even with the paint removed

I totally agree with Dave on this one. Now the paint is gone I would be very tempted to leave it be and just hit it with a renaissance wax. It looks to be in original state now and any refurbing you do takes away from the salty look

I totally agree with Dave. I think it is fine now.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks, gents.

I agree with your advice and will leave it for what it is, a nearly 100 year old veteran. A nice, historical piece.

Thanks for the wax advice, I will buy some and apply it to the lid for protection.