Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German M17(?) Stahlhelm Refurbishment

Article about: Just picked up this Stahlhelm shell for cheap. It still feels pretty solid, with no deep pitting, cracks etc The inside is rough but salvagable I think. It has an obvious post-war paint job

Default German M17(?) Stahlhelm Refurbishment

German M17(?) Stahlhelm RefurbishmentGerman M17(?) Stahlhelm RefurbishmentGerman M17(?) Stahlhelm RefurbishmentGerman M17(?) Stahlhelm Refurbishment

Just picked up this Stahlhelm shell for cheap. It still feels pretty solid, with no deep pitting, cracks etc The inside is rough but salvagable I think. It has an obvious post-war paint job which may need removing. Doesn't seem like a ground dug item as the lugs and everything are quite clear and there's no 'growth' on any of the metal.

It'd be great if anyone on here could suggest ideas and tips for restoring it? (Never done this before!).

I've found a few tips on the web but a bit hesitant about doing something that would damage the item beyond repair. Also maybe a uk supplier for decent liners etc?

Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German M17(?) Stahlhelm Refurbishment
    P
    Many

Hi

Have a look in the restoration forum on this site and also post in the helmets section for some advice.

I think german e bay will offer some repro liner and chin straps at good prices if that helps. they are selling m18 and m17 pattern liners and chin straps.

hope that helps

tony

Thanks Tony. Will check that out.

all the best.