Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

German M18 advice please

Article about: Hi Long time since I've posted. But still enjoy this site. I recently purchased an M18 shell. Relic condition but solid. Trouble is there are no apparent marks. It is a large size maybe 68/7

?

Default German M18 advice please

Hi
    Long time since I've posted. But still enjoy this site.
    I recently purchased an M18 shell. Relic condition but solid. Trouble is there are no apparent marks. It is a large size maybe 68/70 also has two holes on right side suggesting Afghanistan army use. I am pretty sure it is not a modern fake judging by the rust pattern and very old repaint over evidence of earlier service.
    Some chatter on other forums suggest that some unmarked M18s were made post WW1.
    It has a longer brim at the front compared to my ET66 M16. Length overall 34.4cm and width 23.2cm.
    Any advice as to possible history would be most welcome.
    Thanks
    John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German M18 advice please   German M18 advice please  

German M18 advice please   German M18 advice please  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German M18 advice please
    P
    Many

Im no expert on these,but there are at least 8 known makers to have had contracts to produce Helmets but there is no known info with regards to which Models size or code markings,at first it looked like a Droop Bill Bing as they had this type of visor however there only listed as making M16's,hopefully someone with a lot more to offer will chime in............sorry i cant be of more help..........

?

John
    Run a tape around the shell level with the rivet holes think you'll find its a 68 stamps maybe there just cant make them out because of corrosion.

Eric

?

Hi Jake and Eric
    Thanks for the good advice. Yes it is size 68. You may be right about corrosion but I'd rather not scrub away the rust (which is quite stable) too much to try and find the marks. It's a nice display piece and complements My German and AH M16/17s
    Cheers
    John