Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German M1916 helmet shell

Article about: This helmet arrived through the post today. I spotted it on Milweb last week, and the seller was asking for offers with the following statement... 'No fantastic offer refused.' So I sent him

Default German M1916 helmet shell

This helmet arrived through the post today. I spotted it on Milweb last week, and the seller was asking for offers with the following statement... 'No fantastic offer refused.' So I sent him an e-mail asking if he would accept a 'fantastic' offer of £50.

The helmet is in absolutely superb condition and retains most of it's original finish. There is no pitting on it's surface at all, and it also came with it's original chinstrap. The shell size is Q66 and batch code is E26. Only one of the original rivets remain. The chinstrap appears to have an original stitched-repair, or perhaps it has been shortened by the owner. It is a good while since I have seen an original shell in this condition.

While at the Preston Arms Fair on the 22nd August, I met that well known tight-fisted collector known as Scrooge. I was telling him about it, and he said there was a rough M16 shell on one of the stands for over £100, so I think I did rather well really.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German M1916 helmet shell   German M1916 helmet shell  

German M1916 helmet shell   German M1916 helmet shell  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German M1916 helmet shell
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: German M1916 helmet shell

thats a corking helmet for £50 nice job mate

?

Harry thats a cracking lid for £50 , well done
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I've had another look at the chinstrap after repairing it. I would think that the fittings are really meant for a Picklhaube, as they're in brass - and they are not repro's. The leather strap looks as though it has been stitched to the fittings by hand, but it is not a recent repair. I think that it is period-done. the leather is extremely old and fragile, but has softened up nicely with a bit of pecard leather dressing. The strap is a bit on the long side to have come off a Picklehaube, so I guess it is a squaddie-done period replacement.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I've had another look at the chinstrap after repairing it. I would think that the fittings are really meant for a Pickelhaube, as they're in brass - .

Harry, the Imperial German M16 steel helmet was designed and meant to use the chinstrap from the Pickelhaube, it was fitted with M91 Pickelhaube type attachment posts, when issued the soldier was instructed to use his Pickelhaube chinstrap, before handing it back to the clothing store, (one of the reasons why many Pickelhaubes lack a chinstrap!) only the M18 steel helmet had its own designed form of chinstrap. Your 50 quid helmet is a stunner.....do you intend to leave it be ?

There is really nothing that I could do to it to improve it. There is no point in messing about with what is a fine shell like this. As for the chinstrap, I just assumed that the fittings for the helmet were in steel. I think that being from my neck of the woods we may well have met at some time. I was talking to Stan Dobson and Martin Short about it last Sunday - although I was still waiting for it to arrive.

?

Harry very nice .I would have bought that in a heart beat. I was looking at a relic lid this weekend with a very large shrapnel hole in it painted black,and the lady wanted 75 US and would not take less. She also told me that all the WW I helmets were painted black Gary

Sometimes I just drop lucky!

Well done! Bargain!

Cheers, Ade.

Harry, yes best not to do anything with it, I bought an M18 shell (uncommon mm T.J.66 "C.Thiel & Soehne Lubeck") from France at £70, last year, I intended to rebuild as it hasnt got its original finish, something similiar but not original, but I have decided to leave it....at least for the time being.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German M1916 helmet shell  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast