Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

German model 17 gas mask

Article about: A package arrived for me yesterday, containing a very nice example of the Gas Mask 17. On opening the storage tin and pulling out the mask I was amazed to find that the sheepskin leather was

Default German model 17 gas mask

A package arrived for me yesterday, containing a very nice example of the Gas Mask 17. On opening the storage tin and pulling out the mask I was amazed to find that the sheepskin leather was probably as supple as the day it was made. All the straps on the mask are intact and still show plenty of stretch. The plate where the filter screws in bears the owners name. The filter is dated June 1918, and although there is corrosion - it is still in quite good condition. Does anyone know why these canisters always seem to be corroded? Is it the charcoal contents perhaps drawing in moisture? I am told these German canisters do not contain asbestos. Fitted to the front of the filter is the additional snap-on filter which was introduced in May 1918. The container is a modification of the Carrying Box 16, and was introduced in June 1917. The container was made slightly deeper, and a compartment was added to the lid to house spare Zellon and Celluloid lenses.

No poisonous gasses were released into my room when the mannequin donned the mask for the photo-shoot...

German model 17 gas maskGerman model 17 gas maskGerman model 17 gas maskGerman model 17 gas maskGerman model 17 gas maskGerman model 17 gas maskGerman model 17 gas maskGerman model 17 gas maskGerman model 17 gas mask

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German model 17 gas mask
    P
    Many

What a brilliant find and in such good condition! Wojta is a Polish surname, i wonder if these were reissued to the polish army in the 1920s like a lot of other German gear?...

its a strong possibility - as a manufacturing date of June 1918 is pushing it a bit for this to have been actually used in WW1. When you take into account that's when it was dated at the manufacturing plant, what's the chances it ever made it to the front? But then again the mask is a 1917 model, and there are no dates on it.

Awesome buy Steve dont see many left in this condition and the storage tin looks right for the mask,and in remarkable condition too,well done and thanks for sharing...............

Thinking about it though there were Poles in the German army in WW1, in those days Silesia was part of Germany!...

Outstanding condition.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

oops----double post
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

nice find.

?

Great find in that condition. It looks awesome on your display.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Very nice Freudenberg mask

German model 17 gas mask
    German model 17 gas mask

The GM17 and GM18 where still being used by the Lithuanian army up until 1930.