Become our sponsor and display your banner here

German Pilot's or Tank's helmet WW1 ?

Article about: Hello, I would like to have pieces of advice on this helmet which seems German at first sight. A Belgian collector who has the same one told me it is a German Pilot's helmet headphones of th

?

Default German Pilot's or Tank's helmet WW1 ?

Hello,

I would like to have pieces of advice on this helmet which seems German at first sight.
    A Belgian collector who has the same one told me it is a German Pilot's helmet headphones of the World War I. This model would have been then used by tank drivers beginning 1916 at a time where very little specific equipment existed. The equipment seems to have been distributed in 1918 (“Lederschutzhelm”).
    Moreover this Belgian collector has almost 3 pictures with German tank drivers wearing different helmets …

I am a medal collector and I have poor information on equipment. What do you think about this helmet?

Thank you very much and have a nice day.

Size 56 - No other indication Inside.

Hi

I'm somewhat hesitant to reply to this, because the bottom line is that this post is supposition.

To me the helmet looks to be based on the Roold flying helmet and Germany certainly did have helmets based on this design (as did several other countries) and the liner certainly looks to be German to me.

However, it is not something that I've come across before. I have spent some time going through Prodger's book and several other Forums as well as the general internet, looking for this type of helmet.

The best I can come up with is shown below.

Edit: I should note that I've not seen what looks like a steel band across the top in a flying helmet before.

Cheers
    Tim

Italian Flight Helmet
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tipo Saratti.jpg 
Views:	818 
Size:	167.4 KB 
ID:	687849

Spalding Number 12 from Prodger's book - notice the ear flaps

Name:	Spalding Number 12.jpg 
Views:	776 
Size:	332.9 KB 
ID:	687850

US Flight Helmet - unable to find any further information on this
    Name:  US Flight helmet.jpg
Views: 2225
Size:  66.7 KB

And finally and most interestingly, one that is purportedly a German Flying Helmet. You will notice at the front that there are two 'buttons' that that have been placed in the holes (similar position to yours) and the liner. However, the buttons on this have a 'propeller' design, unlike yours.

Name:	Pilot Helmet 4.jpg 
Views:	667 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	687852Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pilot Helmet 3.jpg 
Views:	605 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	687853

Oh - and of course this German M13 helmet (that seems to be held up in Customs *Grumble, grumble*)

Name:	Front - top.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	687855Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Interior.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	687854
    Last edited by Allegra; 05-10-2014 at 12:12 PM.

?

Hi Tim,

Thank you for the information and time spent. It's almost good tracks and the supposition it should be a Pilot's helmet seems realistic.

Best regards, thank you.
    Georges.