Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German Sawback Bayonet

Article about: I'm considering purchasing this & I wanted to get some feedback on what you guys might think a good offering price might be. The scabbard & bayonet have matching numbers & the sc

Default German Sawback Bayonet

I'm considering purchasing this & I wanted to get some feedback on what you guys might think a good offering price might be.
    The scabbard & bayonet have matching numbers & the scabbard is in good condition, although I don't have a pic of it.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Luke

Default Re: German Sawback Bayonet

Look's good to me, but I haven't seen that many of these German Bayonets from WW1, but I'll say it's good IMO.

Might be someone with more experience than me about this bayonet

Luke, a splendid 98/05 sawback ! worth around £150-200 these days, so long as it is in good condition with scabbard, I paid £90 about 8 years ago for mine....some info on these bayonets, captured Germans usually received special treatment if caught with sawbacks, this was due to British propaganda (although they were using them also !). Toward the end of the war they were being altered under official sanction by grinding off the teeth. On October 17th 1917 the Bavarian Army ordered the exchange of all sawbacks tor plain bladed weapons except for Pioneers, by December 3rd the Prussians followed, issuing new straight backed 98/05's and reissuing altered sawbacks.
    Hope this helps..
    Prost ! Steve.

That's a nice looking bayonet. I'm not really into edged weapons but if I had to have just one in my collection it would be the sawback. A vicious looking piece of steel!

Heres mine on the business end of my GEW 98.......an impressive bayonet, I would not to face one of these on the field !
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Sawback Bayonet  

?

They dont like it up em Capt Mainwaring

Quote by davejb View Post
    They dont like it up em Capt Mainwaring
    That's fuzzy-wuzzies though, surely?

Rob

?

That looks like a good example of the S98/05nAS. In Belgium and Germany they are rare but not extremely rare, so I think the price mentioned by Steve can be correct.
    I do have a Question about your intro Luke. You say the bayonet and scabbard have matching numbers... But I can see no numbers on the bayonet... Normally German regimental numbers should be on top of the scabbard at the back and another one on top of the number on the scabbard on the quillion...
    Her's an example of that, but on another type of bayonet...

Adler

Adler, I checked mine for Regimentals....and like Lukes, it has none, just the normal marks:- an acceptance mark upon the top spine, a "W" over a "16", and is mm "DeutschesMaschinenenFabrik AG Duisberg", on the top of the blade, there is also a couple of acceptance marks on top of the pommel. The zenith for such markings (Regimentals) was between 1871 and 1913, and that sometime early during WW1, Regimentals were formally discontinued....however an abundance of Regimentaly marked items can be found from 1914-18 period, especially from Reserve, Ersatz or non line units.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Last edited by oradour; 02-23-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks guys for all the help. I really appreciate it.
    Steve: You've been a big help and thanks for all the information. Your bayonet is awesome! Thanks for posting the picture.

Luke

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast