Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

german spike helmet I dont know anything about it any thoughts PLEASE HELP

Article about: My friend just got a hold of this helmet. I know about wwII german helmets then this. It's in some rough shape but not to bad. It's What I dont undertsand about it is that its smalll! My 14

Default german spike helmet I dont know anything about it any thoughts PLEASE HELP

My friend just got a hold of this helmet. I know about wwII german helmets then this. It's in some rough shape but not to bad. It's What I dont undertsand about it is that its smalll! My 14 month kid can almost where it. I dont know if it shrunk becuase its leather or what? Can someone tell me anything about it and value!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture german spike helmet I dont know anything about it any thoughts PLEASE HELP   german spike helmet I dont know anything about it any thoughts PLEASE HELP  

german spike helmet I dont know anything about it any thoughts PLEASE HELP   german spike helmet I dont know anything about it any thoughts PLEASE HELP  

german spike helmet I dont know anything about it any thoughts PLEASE HELP   german spike helmet I dont know anything about it any thoughts PLEASE HELP  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement german spike helmet I dont know anything about it any thoughts PLEASE HELP
    P
    Many

Default Re: german spike helmet I dont know anything about it any thoughts PLEASE HELP

odessa1, a rare helmet. Model 1895 Hesse-Darmstadt enlisted mans pickelhaube, marked J.R.116 and 1 B, this is for "Infanterie-Regt. Kaiser Wilhelm (2. Großherzoglich Hessisches) Nr.116" 1st Battalion, garrisoned at Gießen, part of XVIII Armee Korps, unique in period pickelhaubes with its fluted spike and cruciform base together with a round peak. This example is in poor state, but restorable, it can be re-shaped and cleaned. Value wise in this condition....approx $500+ (£350+). Nice to see one that isnt marked up "J.R.115" ! Prost ! Steve.

Default Re: german spike helmet I dont know anything about it any thoughts PLEASE HELP

Thank you for your reply oradour. Where could I get it restored at and is it worth getting it done would it raise the value on it ?

odessa1, where are you in the U.K. or the U.S. ?...I usually sympathetically restore them myself. which will involve dismantling cleaning and reshaping (either by former or steaming), it will enhance its value, in good condition this helmet can be worth over £800, ($1200). As for size...they were a lot smaller than us back then, and it was common for the helmet to be on the small size, say 54 or 56. Regarding restoration, have a look at this article on this site " Preservation & Cleaning of Antique Headgear "
    Prost ! Steve.

IM in the u.s...

I V had small helmets WWII era but nothing this small. Yes I wish you were closer. What do you charge for something like that?

odessa1...I only attempt to clean up my own helmets, and I would not charge a fellow collector a cent, but hey i'm in the U.K...... you might do well to join and post the helmet on this site, as I believe many of its members are from the States. Pickelhaubes.Com :: Index
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Amazing pickelhaube! And from my neck of the woods! A true find for your freind! Lee