Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9

Article about: In the first part of this thread, some history of the German and British navies in World War I will be discussed with particular emphasis on the development and deployment of the German subm

UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCE OF U-BOAT WARFARE OUT OF CONTROL
    The German U-boat campaign suffered a major setback in May 1915. U-20 was on her way home to Wilhelmshaven, after an unrewarding patrol, the submarine’s commanding officer surfaced in a dense fog to see a large ship in the distance which he identified only as a steamer headed to Queenstown. He believed this ship to be carrying troops. He had only two torpedoes left to fire. At 3:10 pm, he ordered, "First tube-fire!" The impact from torpedo fired by Kapitänleutant Walter Schwieger from U-20 on May 7,1915 was felt around the world when the captain anxious for action after a rather uneventful patrol fired without clearly identifying a ship with three stacks. As he watched through his periscope the ship list over, unable to lower life boats, he then visualized the name of the stricken vessel as the Lusitania. U-20 returned to port having realized that a terrible mistake had been made.
    German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9
    Of the 1201 passengers who lost their lives, 128 of them were U. S. citizens. The Lusitania was listed as an "armed merchant cruiser". Reportedly she was not carrying troops but was transporting ammunition and other contraband war materials.
    German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9
    U-20, commanded by Kapitänleutant Walter Schwieger

Conclusion
    The German Imperial Navy reluctantly introduced the submarine into their armamentarium at the beginning of World War I. After several losses against the British surface fleet, Germany had no choice but to expand and rely upon its submarine force to counter the very effective British naval blockade of essential imports. Some scholars of military history would argue that these U-boats were not utilized to their full potential. Others would suggest that a full U-boat campaign could not have changed the outcome of World War I.
    Nevertheless, the technical advances in submarine development which began in German shipyards laid the groundwork for the next generation of diesel submarines which became a formidable force in World War II.
    The story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen is a tangential bit of World War I naval history. It is presented not to glorify the atrocities of warfare, but rather to study a disciplined submarine captain who was able to use the very modest offensive capabilities of U-9 to achieve an amazing tactical victory against overwhelmingly powerful surface ships. His remarkable feat of sinking three armored British cruisers in one engagement remains a unique event. But his death in the sinking of U-29 underscores the razor thin margin of error that submarine operations allow.
    The reader should reflect on the image of the angel kneeling on the life ring. The inscription reads, “Because of England’s falsehood, you died for us.” The postcard is damaged just over the portion of the life ring which would show the hull or boat number following the inscription “S.M.S.” This powerful image would apply to a sunken surface combatant or submarine as well. What is important is that this postcard pays tribute to all of those sailors or submariners who have “gone down to the sea in ships or subs” and lost their lives at sea in battle. This image transcends nationality, conflict, or moment in history. The angel pays reverence to all who were lost. They all are “comrades zur see.’’

German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9. PART TWO.
    In the next series of postings I will include some authentic memorabilia concerning U-9 and Otto Weddigen and some original postcards of World War I era.
    German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9
    Medallion honoring Otto Weddigen
    Child wearing a cap with a hat band in honor or Otto Weddigen.

Plate commemorating Otto Weddigen as commander of U-9 and U-29.

Vivat ribbons (German: Vivatbänder) were silk ribbons issued to raise money for the Red Cross in Germany and Austria during World War I. Ribbons had printed patriotic messages which celebrated battles and important events, as well as royalty and the military leaders. They were designed by many famous German artists of the period. Most ribbons had the same size and followed the same design pattern with word "Vivat!" ("Long live!") printed on top, followed by unique text and graphic below. The bottom of the ribbon showed "Zum Besten Des Roten Kreuzes; Verlag Amsler u. Ruthardt; Berlin W8" ("To the benefit of the Red Cross; Verlag Amsler&Ruthardt; Berlin W8") text, since they were released by the German Red Cross to raise funds for war relief. During World War I 200,000 ribbons were sold and they became popular collector’s items.
    Vivat ribbon honoring Otto Weddigen.

Otto Weddigen featured in the Fatherland Magazine.
    German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9
    The Fatherland was a World War I era weekly periodical published by poet, writer, and noted propagandist George Sylvester Viereck (1884-1962), advocating "Fair Play for Germany and Austria-Hungary". Viereck outspokenly supported the German cause at the outset of World War I, and his poetry reflected his pro-German zeal.

Postcards featuring poems about the “Unterseeboot.”
    Attachment 1379601Attachment 1379602
    “Comrades of the sea.” (On the left) “That would not shake a seafarer.
    The wind is strong 10, the ship sways back and Forth." (On the right)

Postcards with patriotic poems.

“Do not threaten us.” (Left) “Because we fight against England.” (Right)

Donation stamps featuring Otto Weddigen and U-9 for the Seamen’s convalescent home sponsored by the Empress Victoria Foundation.
    German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9German Submarine Development during World War I and the story of Kapitänleutant Otto Weddigen and U-9

World War I donation stamp for Airmen’s convalescence

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast