Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German trench map

Article about: Here's a couple of images of the trench map I picked up for£15 at the arms fair. I've not finished examining it yet, but at some point I will try and match up parts of it to Google images as

Default German trench map

Here's a couple of images of the trench map I picked up for£15 at the arms fair. I've not finished examining it yet, but at some point I will try and match up parts of it to Google images as I did with the british maps. I must say that the British maps are much clearer to read! I have only uploaded one picture of the full map, and a few of the more interesting trench systems.

German trench mapGerman trench mapGerman trench mapGerman trench map

Really like the map, is there any significance in doing the grid reference that way, or is it just peculiar to these?

Cheers,

The grids simplify Location Identification and Target-Acquisition...
    cheers, Glenn

Hi Rich,

I have to be honest and say that I have absolutely no idea. This is the first German trench map I have ever owned. The grid markings are certainly different from the system we used in my time in the army. the system used by the British in WW1 was more or less the same as the one I knew. The last British map I purchased was sheet 28 NW and covers the trench systems around Pilckem in the north, Hooge in the west and as far down as Zillebeke. That map is a bit special because of the ground it covers, and so it was a bit more costly - £85 to be exact. But I was very surprised to see the German map at a mere £15. I would have thought they fetched much more than that!

Last year I purchased a British leather map case - dated 1918 and complete with three area maps of France and Belgium, there was also two WW1 protractors. The whole lot cost £100. The condition of the case is superb. On close examination of one of the area maps I found that the final position of the German army had been pencilled in and dated November 11th 1918. My opinion is that it was probably done at the time. I find these old maps to be fascinating.

cheers,
    Steve.

I totally agree, Harry...I picked up this German map showing the 1914-18 Army Boundaries in France...liked it so much I framed it, lol...
    Good price, too...Glad I had the large frame laying around!
    cheers, Glenn
    Attached Images Attached Images German trench map 

I've just checked the maps in the map case, and there are actually five! I must have got mixed-up, and I made an idiot of myself too (not that hard to do). The way the maps were gridded WAS different from the way we did it when I served. I need to read up how they sent their grid references and how they worked. In my day we had Slidex and Griddle!

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    The grids simplify Location Identification and Target-Acquisition...
    cheers, Glenn
    Hello Glenn,

It just seems an odd way to do a grid using what looks to be time as working numbers, as in grid 1750 for example- and then how do you divide that up to be more precise? Maybe 170555?

Cheers

The way I was taught to read a map was by using the rule "Right, and Up", meaning I begin with the bottom horizontal number first, then reference the verticle numbers on the side, which would lead me to the desired grid...I hope that made sense, lol...
    cheers, Glenn

Hi glenn,

Tee hee-Yes your making perfect sense, I think its my ramblings that arent!
    Its more in the choice of numbers used. The bottom row of numbers seem to be in minutes, and the right hand row of numbers seem to be in 24h clock format. Just never seen a map or chart scaled that way. A grid reference of 501700?
    Clear as mud I know.

Cheers

nice buy harry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast