Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

German U-Boat Photos and Postcards

Article about: I would like to start a thread in which members will post their WWI U-boat photos and post cards. Hopefully, we can collectively create a substantial photo reference. I will start with these

?

Default Re: German U-Boat Photos and Postcards

?

Attachment 484883Attachment 484884Couple More, unfortunately not exactly the same quality.

Gary: Those are great photos. I have a photo of the U-111 as a war trophy in New London during the 1919 Victory Bond Drive. The negative was included in a batch of U-Deutschland negatives that I obtained from the Bibliothek für Zeitgeschichte in Stuttgart several yeras ago. Apparently someone thought the U-111 was the U-Deutschland because of the U-111's wide beam. Thanks for posting tose terrific photos. Dwight

?

Sorry I deleted these by mistake.German U-Boat Photos and PostcardsGerman U-Boat Photos and PostcardsGerman U-Boat Photos and PostcardsGerman U-Boat Photos and PostcardsGerman U-Boat Photos and PostcardsGerman U-Boat Photos and PostcardsGerman U-Boat Photos and PostcardsGerman U-Boat Photos and Postcards

NoraMar
    ?

Hi,
    I need to know how many U-Boat postcards were published during WWI (1914-1918) in Germany. Just about U-Boat subject, including of course not just U-Boat images, but Commanders too, crewmembers, sinkings, and all about this specific area.
    Do you know how may were published, or in what book or magazine can I find this information? I just need the exact number of postcards in this subject.
    Thank you very much in advance.

?

Hello NoraMar, Unfortunately I don't think anybody knows, as many different printers produced their own designs and large numbers are still in existence. These Photographs of U-111 are not post cards, they were taken by US Military Photographers in 1919. The largest collection of post cards on this subject can be found on this web site. theFrankes.com · WWI German Navy Postcard Collection Hope this helps.

NoraMar: Gary is probably correct that no one could answer that question with absolute accuracy, or anything much better than an educated guess. I would guess there were at least a couple of hundred different photos and paintings published as postcards. Throw-in photos of U-Boat captains and you have another two hundred or so. I do know that U-Boat postcards were enormously popular during WWI, so there was a huge market for them. Dwight

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4