Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hamburg Cross

Article about: Hello everyone, I'm in the process of acquiring an Imperial Hamburg Cross from a guy who I've done business with in the past. I have a vague knowledge of German medals and decorations, mostl

Default Hamburg Cross

Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of acquiring an Imperial Hamburg Cross from a guy who I've done business with in the past. I have a vague knowledge of German medals and decorations, mostly Iron Crosses from WW1, but when it comes to the Imperial awards, my mind draws a blank. So, I have a couple of questions. I know that Hamburg crosses are hard to come by, but how rare are the Hamburg Crosses really? Are there ways to tell the reals from the fakes? Does the length of the ribbon increase or decrease the value? What prices do these medals go for in good condition? Sorry for the laundry list of questions, but I know that doing my research before I buy is not only important to me, but also it pertains heavily to this hobby so no one gets burned. Thank you all in advance for your help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hamburg Cross
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Hamburg Cross

Hi Javelin4life,

Please check the Ebay Germany site, You will find them there. Have translation tool on hand . I have seen them in presentation case's as well. I buy all my Imperial miniatures from German sellers. Price $250 -$ 350 . maybe a little less. Always ask " IS THE RED ENAMAL CHIPED OR MISSING IN PARTS" I would go for original ribbon and boxed item if possible. A lot of group sets are married together and sold as a original groupings, watch out for these as they are not correct. I have no idea about the ribbons or them being faked. I guess there are fakes around. Maybe someone else can help you with other questions on his forum.Good luck with getting a nice one or many.

Cheer's,Mark

The one in question is basically in perfect condition. There are no chips on the red enamel, and all the parts are there. There is no box. The ribbon is short, with no tears or discoloratin. How does this affect the overall value of it?

Gents, the Hamburg cross is the most common of the three Hanseatic crosses, the other two being the Bremen and Lubeck, the latter being the most expensive.....you should be able to pick up a Hamburg in good condition with ribbon for approx 70 euro...as stated, look for one with no damage to the enamel, the boxes (genuine) crop up once in a while on e-bay Germany. There are no fakes as such, only a one sided Godet made (modern) 3/4 sized version, as part of an Imperial collection, made a few years ago for the collector community. The ribbons are reproduced...uv light test will spot a modern made ribbon, as it will glow. However there are some ribbons available that are advertised as pre 1945 made ( IMO, I consider these original ) these ribbons do not glow and pass the burn test (modern ribbon with synthetic thread will curl/shrink when subjected to a naked flame, an old ribbon will burn) remember that these medals were available post war (WW1) through to the 1930's, so original ribbon will be of that period 1920's to 1945.
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Thank you Steve,

Again a most informative and interesting post.

Cheer's,Mark

Thank you all very much for the help everyone The information that you have all provided makes me feel much more comfortable in purchasing the cross knowing that for the price I will be buying it for, I am getting a good deal on my part. Unfortunately, this buy will not occur for a little while, as he will be out of town for a while. I will post a picture of the cross when it is in my possession.

Alex
    Last edited by Javelin4life; 09-27-2011 at 04:23 AM.

?

Hi Alex,I would like to see a pic or two. would be great.The only problem with buying from Germany is the cost of postage and the time frame of delivery. I hope you receive your cross very soon so you can enjoy.

Cheer's,Mark

Mark, lucky for me I don't have to buy from Germany, as the person I'm buying from lives here in the states. But being that he will be out of state for a while, the next time I will see him will be at a local early December gun show However, when I spoke to him about purchasing it at the next show he has told me he will hold onto it for me. At the shows I attend, everyone there is much more interested in buying guns and knives and quite frankly, I sometimes feel like I'm the only one there who knows what that medal is and what its real value is, which he has luckily under priced. As soon as I get the medal, I will post a picture for all of you to see, and I apologize in advance for the waiting period

Alex

Alex..heres mine,
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hamburg Cross   Hamburg Cross  

Default hanseaten kreuz

Quote by Javelin4life View Post
    Thank you all very much for the help everyone The information that you have all provided makes me feel much more comfortable in purchasing the cross knowing that for the price I will be buying it for, I am getting a good deal on my part. Unfortunately, this buy will not occur for a little while, as he will be out of town for a while. I will post a picture of the cross when it is in my possession.

Alex

Did you end up purchasing it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast