Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Hard to read inkstamps

Article about: Here is a tip that has worked very well for me. As an astronomer, I use coloured filters to enhance detail on the planets, and I discovered that the standard Celestron 1.25-inch eyepiece RED

?

Default Hard to read inkstamps

Here is a tip that has worked very well for me. As an astronomer, I use coloured filters to enhance detail on the planets, and I discovered that the standard Celestron 1.25-inch eyepiece RED filter drasticaly improves contrast with pickelhaube inkstamps, making them quite easy to read. It darkens the ink and makes it stand out against the leather, even with darkened leather, or at least it does for me. I was quite unable to read one stamp with a magnifying glass and a flashlight, but using the red filter, with the glass and light, I could see it perfectly. Now plain red coloured glass or gel might do exactly the same, I don't know, but it's worth a try, or even perhaps red light, like a bike back light. Anyway I thought I'd put it out there for what it's worth.

Default Re: Hard to read inkstamps

Thanks for the info DP. It's always great to learn new little tricks to reduce my frustration level.

Jay

?

Thumbs up Re: Hard to read inkstamps

That is awesomw info !

So where would one find a Celestron 1.25-inch eyepiece RED filter ?

?

Anytime Jay. If it helps I'll be pleased. Should you try it let me know how you get on. And Hi to AZPhil! Any good astronomy supplier should have or be able to get those filters. There are other makes, like Meade, some may be less or more expensive (the Celestron are about 30 Euro here in Ireland), but the Celestron are the ones I use, so I can't speak for the others.

?

I had a similar problem with ink stamps fading to nothing on the paperwork which breveted an American pilot in the French Air Service in 1918. I wasn't sure of the document because it appeared to be missing one or more important ink stamps. I have learned over years of developing a collection to look very carefully at everything. I held the paper up to good, natural light and looked at it from the side. It is difficult to explain this fully. Imagine the piece of paper laying on a desk. Normally you would look directly at it. However, imagine putting the side of your head on the desktop and looking at the paper. This is what I did and - bingo - there they were ! I then used blacklight and my camera to photograph them as well as my scanner. All of the ink was gone, but the stamp was still there and just barely visible. Try it !

Charley

?

Interesting. Sounds very like what we call averted vision in astronomy. The edge of your eye is more sensitive to faint light, so when one is looking at a very faint, defuse object like a galaxy or a dim nebula, rather than look straight into the eyepeice, we look sideways, out the corner of the eye, and much more detail is then visible.