Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help Identify this WW1 Bayonet

Article about: I was guting a 1960 Camper and found this buried under some Insulation In the walls.. I think its German WW1.. any ideas. the tip is gone and its rounded on the top of the blade. can not fin

AmmonForrest
    ?

Default Help Identify this WW1 Bayonet

I was guting a 1960 Camper and found this buried under some Insulation In the walls..

I think its German WW1.. any ideas. the tip is gone and its rounded on the top of the blade. can not find any markings..

Did I find Original or Crap Remake.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Identify this WW1 Bayonet   Help Identify this WW1 Bayonet  

Help Identify this WW1 Bayonet   Help Identify this WW1 Bayonet  

Help Identify this WW1 Bayonet   Help Identify this WW1 Bayonet  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Help Identify this WW1 Bayonet

Hello,
    At first glance I thought it was a German trench knife, but when I looked at the other pic's I think it may be a cut down bayonet to make a trench knife? (looks like the remains of a K98 bayonet).
    I expect I will be corrected by our more experienced members, I'm no expert in this field having bought a fake trench knife myself a couple of years back!
    I'm sure you will get the correct diagnosis on this site.
    Best regards,
    navyman.

It's a cut-down Seitengewehr 98 (S98) bayonet for the Gewehr 98.

?

Thumbs up Re: Help Identify this WW1 Bayonet

It Original
    Thats a German Model 98a/A-shortened.

Now this is quoting Jane's Notebook
    "In KAISERZET Vol.4 #4 pg15. Mr C Brown qoutes Gerhard Seifert saying some units shortened these bayonets on their own authority for trench knives. There is no offical designation on these shortened bayonets"

The second entry talks about them being used as Dress Bayonets and it looks like there is some Nickle finish showing on your's. So It might be one of the 'Walking Out" Dress bayonets.
    Does it have a maker's mark on the blade near the handle?

?

From your photo, it appear to be a cut down, do you have any photos of the point of the blade?

?

It Original
    Thats a German Model 98a/A-shortened.
    Sorry, but it's not an aA model but a shortened S98nA. The aA stands for alter Art and the nA stands for neuer Art, meaning old model and new model. The aA models have the wooden grips made in one piece and the nA models are the more comon 2 piece grips...
    Hope this helps you...

Adler

?

The reason I asked about the point of the blade, is when the Turk cut down WW1 bayonets after the war( it almost make you cry when you think about what they did), they could not change the flow of the blades. I have three of them in my collection, and I have posted two of them.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Identify this WW1 Bayonet  

?

Well, gents, - this is my example of the same bayo...

I was shown the paper source, according to which that bayo has a name S98 neue Art für Matrosen artllerie Abteilung