Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Help needed with canteen please.

Article about: Hi i am puzzled by the canteen on the right hand side of the photo, i brought it recently to go with my other ww1 canteens but once it arrived, the canteen was slightly different shape and l

Default Help needed with canteen please.

Hi i am puzzled by the canteen on the right hand side of the photo, i brought it recently to go with my other ww1 canteens but once it arrived, the canteen was slightly different shape and larger than the one i already had which is on the left in the photo, the one i already had is dated 1914 but the new one has no date or maker mark anywhere on it, but the design of the canteen cap and screw neck and the pattern on the studs on the felt cover and the strap are identical, was there a larger capacity canteen made in ww1 just like the ones produced in ww2?, thanksClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 472.jpg 
Views:	714 
Size:	252.0 KB 
ID:	200529Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 473.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	248.5 KB 
ID:	200528

Default Re: Help needed with canteen please.

Joachim, the 1914 dated canteen on the left is a model 1907 Feldflasche, the one on the right is, in my opinion a Swedish canteen....my gut instinct says Swedish, as dealers often sell these as WW1 German canteens, as they are similiar and can unknowingly decieve. There was a larger capacity water bottle for medical troops, but its strap system was nothing like the M1907 bottle, it contained 1 litre of water and was 1" taller. Here is a dismounted troops version, it had a brass hook on the reverse for attaching to the belt, as the version for mounted troops had a clip instead, the same as the Model 1907.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI1205.jpg 
Views:	1459 
Size:	253.0 KB 
ID:	200544  
    "The German Army is the perfectly adapted, perfectly running Machine. The difference is that the Germans are organised with a view to War...with the cold, hard, practical and business-like purpose of winning victories."
    G.W. Steevens - The Daily Mail (1897)

hi steve, thanks so much for the info, the photo you have posted, is that the larger capacity ww1 german canteen then? what year would the swedish canteen be from? thanks

Quote by joachimpeiper View Post
    hi steve, thanks so much for the info, the photo you have posted, is that the larger capacity ww1 german canteen then? what year would the swedish canteen be from? thanks
    joachimpeiper, yes the photo is of the larger Imperial medics water bottle, I believe the Swedish bottles are of WW2 vintage, have you taken the metal body of the canteen completly out of its cover ? just see if there are any markings ?
    Prost ! Steve.
    "The German Army is the perfectly adapted, perfectly running Machine. The difference is that the Germans are organised with a view to War...with the cold, hard, practical and business-like purpose of winning victories."
    G.W. Steevens - The Daily Mail (1897)

?

I think this is just a private purchase German canteen. Modeled after the M07, private purchase pieces often had a somewhat larger capacity than an issue piece. They were normally not as large as a medic's canteen, though there were private purchase versions of them too.

Chip

I tend to agree with Chip, as this does not look like any of the Swedish canteens I have encountered (that does not mean it is so, but makes me lean that way)
    Best
    Gus