Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help Translating Imperial German Diary!

Article about: Hello all, I acquired this Imperial German estate of Karl Heppner recently. It seems to date from the 1890's - World War I era due to his Pickelhaube. The 1915 Pickelhaube has a brass wappen

Default Help Translating Imperial German Diary!

Hello all, I acquired this Imperial German estate of Karl Heppner recently. It seems to date from the 1890's - World War I era due to his Pickelhaube. The 1915 Pickelhaube has a brass wappen and removable spike. It comes with his sword belt hanger. There are about 30 pages of handwritten pages. Can anyone help translating a few pages?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Translating Imperial German Diary!   Help Translating Imperial German Diary!  

Help Translating Imperial German Diary!   Help Translating Imperial German Diary!  

Help Translating Imperial German Diary!   Help Translating Imperial German Diary!  

Here are a few more
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Translating Imperial German Diary!   Help Translating Imperial German Diary!  

Help Translating Imperial German Diary!  

?

Your lucky in that the writer had great penmanship. I think it would first have to be transcribed into a modern font. My mother-in-law use to leave me notes in English, but written in the "alt" script, was only able to figure out about half of what she wrote.

Yes it's beautiful writing, something of a lost art.

I like everything in the photo including the VKP in the background!

Exquisite handwriting!

My German is ok for a not German native speaker, but I'm sorry I can't make much from the ancient handwriting.

Maybe someone else can. Good luck. Paul

After trying to read this, I'm finding out how much my German has deteriorated. The first picture says something about friends and their travels from Giessen in May of 1894. The diary or trip started on 1 may 94 I'm lost on the rest. I really need to practice more.