Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help - Unknown Bavarian Gold Stickpin

Article about: Could perhaps the imperial collectors amongst us, say what this small 14 caret gold stick-pin may signify, it seems to commentate an event in Bavaria in 1835 - I've looked through various hi

?

Default Help - Unknown Bavarian Gold Stickpin

Could perhaps the imperial collectors amongst us, say what this small 14 caret gold stick-pin may signify, it seems to commentate an event in Bavaria in 1835 - I've looked through various history books and found nothing, unsure if its a military or a civil piece. On the back is a MM stamp = GR and the gold stamp 585. Any information appreciated.
    Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help - Unknown Bavarian Gold Stickpin  
    Attached Images Attached Images Help - Unknown Bavarian Gold Stickpin 

Default Re: Help - Unknown Bavarian Gold Stickpin

The only significant historical event in Bavaria in 1835 that I can come up with was the opening of the first-ever steam-powered railway line in Germany (running between Nuremberg and Fürth), but I don't think it has anything to do with that.

My gut feeling would be that this is some kind of "gold honor pin" from some Bavarian association/club/organization founded in 1835.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 03-19-2012 at 11:27 PM.

I have to add another event to my above statement:

1835 was also the year of the 25th wedding anniversary of King Ludwig I and Queen Therese. This Jubiläumsjahr (anniversary year) was much celebrated in the Kingdom of Bavaria; so we could speculate that it might have something to with that.

?

Thanks HLP2008,
    For your post and the information, I too think the most likely origins of the stick-pin are linked to some form of Bavarian Heimat Association, as you say probably a honour stick-pin - hard to imagine every member getting a gold one. When I get time I may place the pin on a German forum, if they come up with anything I'll let you know. Again thanks for the help.
    Regards

?

HPL2008,
    I did place this thread on Sammlergemeinschaft Deutscher Auszeichnungen Forum. The answers I received were much along the lines you suggested, plus the year 1835 was the restarting of the Oktoberfest, the common wisdom thought it was a modernist design commemorative piece aka 1985, makers mark GH (not as I thought GR) = Gebrüder Hemmerle a royal jewellers still in existence, and based today in the very fashionable Maxmilian strasse in Munich. I intended to send them a email with pictures. Unfortunately its one of the few firms without a email address, when time allows I may phone them. Again thanks for the help.