Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Hussar Sword!! From the Hus-Rgt. Landgraf Friedr. 2nd v. Hessen-Homburg 2nd 14th.

Article about: Wow, I just won this sword on Ebay! I was surprised that no-one bid on it, and so I put down a last minute bid and won it! It seems legitimately old to me, and it has a few issues, so I don'

?

Default Hussar Sword!! From the Hus-Rgt. Landgraf Friedr. 2nd v. Hessen-Homburg 2nd 14th.

Wow, I just won this sword on Ebay! I was surprised that no-one bid on it, and so I put down a last minute bid and won it! It seems legitimately old to me, and it has a few issues, so I don't think it's a fake. Can anyone tell me anything more about this regiment? Is there a way to date the period that this sword came from? The seller says pre-ww1. Is it possible to get replacement wire wrap? I think there is also something missing from the hilt, can anyone tell me what it is? How was the sword/scabbard attached to the soldier? Is it true that Hussars were usually nobility? I found this photo of the regiment, who knows, maybe this sword is in the photo even!
    http://www.germaniainternational.com...s/MVC-012S.jpg
    Thanks in advance,
    Eddie
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hussar Sword!! From the Hus-Rgt. Landgraf Friedr. 2nd v. Hessen-Homburg 2nd 14th.   Hussar Sword!! From the Hus-Rgt. Landgraf Friedr. 2nd v. Hessen-Homburg 2nd 14th.  

Hussar Sword!! From the Hus-Rgt. Landgraf Friedr. 2nd v. Hessen-Homburg 2nd 14th.   Hussar Sword!! From the Hus-Rgt. Landgraf Friedr. 2nd v. Hessen-Homburg 2nd 14th.  

Hussar Sword!! From the Hus-Rgt. Landgraf Friedr. 2nd v. Hessen-Homburg 2nd 14th.   Hussar Sword!! From the Hus-Rgt. Landgraf Friedr. 2nd v. Hessen-Homburg 2nd 14th.  

Hussar Sword!! From the Hus-Rgt. Landgraf Friedr. 2nd v. Hessen-Homburg 2nd 14th.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hussar Sword!! From the Hus-Rgt. Landgraf Friedr. 2nd v. Hessen-Homburg 2nd 14th.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Hussar Sword!! From the Hus-Rgt. Landgraf Friedr. 2nd v. Hessen-Homburg 2nd 14th.

Eddie, a model 1889 Cavalry sword/Degan, however it seems to have suffered some damage/vandalism to the hand guard/pommel, it probably had a Prussian emblem emblazoned folding handguard (I show an example, for comparison), which at some time was accidently broken off, and the remaining protruding part intentionally removed to provide a smoother line ! the good news is that it did not have a wire wrapped handle, as most Cavalry M89's just had a black celuloid grip without wire wrap...nice blade with Regimentals..."Husaren-Regt. Landgraf Friedrich III von Hessen-Homburg (2.Kurhessisches) Nr.14" garrisonned at Kassel, and part of XI Armee Korps. They wore a dark blue Attilla (Hussars tunic, see attached photo for my similiar Attilla) with white braiding and silver buttons, their "Kolpack" (Busby bag) was ponceau red, and upon their busbies they wore a silver "Fatherland Bandeau". This sword could be restored, as the parts could be available......contact Peter here...Saxonia Militaria - Swords
    Hope this helps,
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hussar Sword!! From the Hus-Rgt. Landgraf Friedr. 2nd v. Hessen-Homburg 2nd 14th.  
    Attached Images Attached Images Hussar Sword!! From the Hus-Rgt. Landgraf Friedr. 2nd v. Hessen-Homburg 2nd 14th. 

?

Default Re: Hussar Sword!! From the Hus-Rgt. Landgraf Friedr. 2nd v. Hessen-Homburg 2nd 14th.

Wow, Steve, excellent answer as always, Ausgezeichnet even! Is this a parade sword, or a sword that would have been put into use? So, even though the Reg was based in Hesse, it would have had a Prussian Eagle basket? Is this because the Hussars were a "federal" rather than "state" based entity? Thanks again!

Eddie, Hesse being a small State did not have a large defence budget for its contingents, so as a default, it used a certain amount of "Prussian" badged regulation items (as did other small Duchies/Principalities), swords I believe were such items, the M89 Cavalry sword was suspended on the right of the saddle, just behind the riders leg, Officers carried the M52/79 Cavalry sabre, in the early days of the war, when the German army was fighting a war of movement the sword was carried in the field, around 1915 when trench warefare extensively took hold, swords began to disapear from the front...for parades and walking out (undress tunic) a lighter intrim sabre was worn (Lion headed type). From 1905 Officers and men had their scabbards blackened.
    Prost ! Steve.

?

I did a bit more digging around and found this website which answers most of the questions I asked! Thanks for taking the time to answer though!
    Luftschiffer
    I read on another forum(about swords) that after 1909 the secondary suspension loop on the scabbard was taken off due to a change in regulations, so given that my scabbard is black and only has one ring, it seems like it would have been used in WW1 before being sent back home for safe keeping as the war became about more trenches. I like thinking about this sword being used in the last war where there was real expectation of the use of Hussar regiments, man it's a real piece of history. Since this isn't a officer's sword our Hessian friend would have been an enlisted soldier, is that right?