Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

I Need help (Uniforms nurse DRK 1WW), German red cross nurse

Article about: I am interested history. I am interested women in the German Army in the Great War. Where do they served ? Particularly interesting uniforms nurses What was the uniform? Where to sew for re-

?

Default Need help (Uniforms nurse DRK 1WW), German red cross nurse

I am interested history.
    I am interested women in the German Army in the Great War.
    Where do they served ?
    Particularly interesting uniforms nurses
    What was the uniform?
    Where to sew for re-enactment?
    Whether there are patterns of this form?
    Last edited by unsam; 06-08-2010 at 09:36 AM.

Default Re: I Need help (Uniforms nurse DRK 1WW), German red cross nurse

unsam, there were no conscripted or otherwise, female uniformed members of the German Imperial army, unlike in the second world war. However in June of 1917 the 'Patriotic Auxillary Service' was formed, single/unmarried women between the age of 20 and 40 were employed within the different army services, including the general governments of Belgium and Poland, and even in billeting areas, they performed jobs such as washerwomen, cooks, clerks, cleaners etc. They were not uniformed, they wore civilian clothes, membership to the service indicated by a patriotic stylised 'Brooch' with the words incoperated therein 'Vater-Landischer Hilfs-Dienst'. The German Red Cross organisation supplied female nurses to the Hospitials/Field centres. I suppose somewhere on the 'net' there may be descriptions of their uniforms, but I am unable to help on that subject.

?

Quote by oradour View Post
    I suppose somewhere on the 'net' there may be descriptions of their uniforms, but I am unable to help on that subject.
    This is bad - ((
    I was looking for. In the "net"-no (nothing).

unsam,
    I to am interested in nurses and their uniforms, sorry wrong forum, again
    Good luck with your search
    Regards, Simon.

Gents...I have just come across this, from a site which custom makes Imperial era clothing and uniforms for re-enactors in Germany, looking at their catalogue, it will be no doubt, correct......a Red Cross nurse uniform 1917, notice the Red Cross buttons.
    Here is their site, frightening to think in some years these will probably be indistinguishable from the real thing ! http://www.derbunterock.de/13801.html
    Enjoy.....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I Need help (Uniforms nurse DRK 1WW), German red cross nurse  

Go the the Great War Association, look up member units, there is a German Red Cross nurse unit there and their contact number should also be there
    Jagdhorn

?

During my war, while in military hospital, I was more interested in getting the nurses out of their uniforms. God bless their patriotic little hearts.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    During my war, while in military hospital, I was more interested in getting the nurses out of their uniforms. God bless their patriotic little hearts.
    Now, now Steven, steady on old boy !....I believe there are other websites for that sort of thing !