Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I need some advice on Aerial Photos recently purchased

Article about: Hi All The following 5 Aerial Reconnaissance photos arrived about a week ago. While I like certain aspects of them, I must admit to being a trifle confused and ultimately would like to know

Default I need some advice on Aerial Photos recently purchased (not related to my other thread)

Hi All

The following 5 Aerial Reconnaissance photos arrived about a week ago.

While I like certain aspects of them, I must admit to being a trifle confused and ultimately would like to know if they are period original - they were purchased as such.

Each photo is approximately 85x115mm and they all appear to have been in an album at some time in the past - each has a triangular mark on the corners.

The Observer in each case was apparently an Oberltn Klug from Feldflieger-Abtlg 10.

What confuses me is that they are the negatives of the photos (look at the writing on each). Is this usual?

I have not done a blacklight test on them - can't find a blacklight today - I'll have to look in a photography store during the week, but they certainly do not appear to be recently made. They appear to be 'of the age'.

The stamps look to be genuine, but I certainly acknowledge that I don't think it would be overly difficult to make one up.

Please note: there is no white border around any of the photos - if it appears, it is where I've cropped the scan.

Any and all assistance gratefully received.

Edit: Amended title - now it's really catchy!

Cheers
    Tim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I need some advice on Aerial Photos recently purchased   I need some advice on Aerial Photos recently purchased  

I need some advice on Aerial Photos recently purchased   I need some advice on Aerial Photos recently purchased  

I need some advice on Aerial Photos recently purchased   I need some advice on Aerial Photos recently purchased  

I need some advice on Aerial Photos recently purchased  
    Last edited by Allegra; 09-08-2013 at 09:47 AM.

*Bump*

I don't think they are negatives, sometimes a lens filter would be used to create a "high contrast" photo, this made feature like the trenches stand out more to the naked eye. No expert but they look like period photos to me!..

Thanks Gunny - appreciate the reply, though I have to say the photos still look reversed to me!

Cheers

?

There has been some reversing going on as you can tell by the writing on them being backwards. I have no idea if they would have been reversed and then put back the right way but leaving the reversed writing on them or not.
    I'm not sure if it would even be possible to tell nowadays but fascinating images of the trenches, their layouts and the scars upon the landscape nonetheless.
    I find the images quite evocative, a shame there is no location as it would be interesting to match them to Google maps today.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hi Adrian - I quite agree - and yes, it is indeed a pity that they do not have any information as to where they may have been taken. I find the trenchlines absolutely fascinating.

Cheers

Hello all,
    Interesting images. I believe these photos show the area around Aubérive, 51600 and Saint-Hilaire-le-Petit, 51490, France.

That's amazing...are you a flyer?

No, but I have an interest in German WW1 aviation and these aerial images have some useful information. They normally provide information about a squadron's area of operation, and sometimes the name of the pilot and/or observer (which is a bonus for me).

As I'm new on here, I don't know if I am able to upload photos. But I can give it a try if you would like to see some aerial pics.

Best Regards,
    Matt.

Bring it on! (although it's Allegra's thread so I don't want to assume control)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast