Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Identifying ranks

Article about: Today I bought a picture frame with a picture of a part of the crew from the SMS Wettin, who followed infantry training on the SMS Wettin (zur erinnerung an unsere Infanterische Ausbildung).

Default Identifying ranks

Today I bought a picture frame with a picture of a part of the crew from the SMS Wettin, who followed infantry training on the SMS Wettin (zur erinnerung an unsere Infanterische Ausbildung).
    Underneath the picture the names of the people are shown. In the middle are 2 higher ranked people, who gave them training I guess. But I can't figure out their ranks. It's about the following abbreviations:

Ob.-Hzr (or Ob.-Hrr)
    M.-Mt

Ob. stands for Oberst I think and M. for Major.

Anyone who knows more?

Identifying ranks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identifying ranks  

Hi,

not too good picture, a close-up to both higher ranked sailors would be helpful. Major or Oberst are IMO not possible, beacuse the guys are form the Navy. And I don't suppose, that we have here high officers, rather NCO's.

The ranks of Kaiserliche Marine were a little bit complicated (escpecially for enlisted and NCO), beacuse their names contained rank & branch (specialty) and a few names of equvalent ranks existed. See the picture below.

My hints are:

M.-Mt. = Maschinistenmaat
    Ob.-Hzr. = Oberheizer

reetings
    Tomasz
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identifying ranks  

Thank you for the reply. I asked the same question somewhere else and they said the exact same ranks, Oberheizer and Machinistenmaat.