Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Imperial aviator, a macabre souvenir.

Article about: Thought i'd show this tobacco pouch, it has an interesting story to go with it, i bought it from Germany some years ago, at a time when i was building up a collection of WW1 period German so

Default Imperial aviator, a macabre souvenir.

Thought i'd show this tobacco pouch, it has an interesting story to go with it, i bought it from Germany some years ago, at a time when i was building up a collection of WW1 period German soldiers personal items/possesions, with the pouch being marked 'Die Stadt Kiel 25.6.1914', i thought it would be perfect for a breadbag contents display, so it was bought. The vendor told me the date signified the occasion of the first death in Germany of a Naval aviator, a Leutnant Schreoder, killed in a seaplane accident during a test flight, apparently an English seaplane. To mark his death some enterprise in the city of Kiel produced a variety of souvenir items. i have tried to research, but there is little to find, i did however find a couple of lines in the July 1914 edition of 'Flight' magazine which mentions 4 fatalities in Germany during June 1914, one of them a 'Lieut Schroeder, who drowned after his seaplane fell 40 mtrs'. The pouch still has the remains of 4 cigars still inside, rather dried and crumbly, so ill be leaving them where they are !.... the EKII is shown as a size comparison. However , two other events were celebrated in Kiel in June 1914, the opening of the Kiel canal locks and the 'Kiel Regatta', but both occured before the 25th, so upto know the story seems to be true, a macabre souvenir indeed !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial aviator, a macabre souvenir.   Imperial aviator, a macabre souvenir.  

Imperial aviator, a macabre souvenir.  

Default Re: Imperial aviator, a macabre souvenir.

Interesting piece. I had never heard that story of the dedication
    to the first killed avaitor before.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Sorry but there is no Lt. Schroeder / Schröder in the casualty list of the german air service.

I have two Schroeder from the navy aviation in my archiv but both still alive 1918.

Can you give me some more information about your guy.

Regards Alex

jaba1914 I can only re state what the brief mention in 'Flight magazine' (a British periodical ) of July 1914 reported that on that date ''Lieut Schroeder, who drowned after his seaplane fell 40 mtrs'', he may not be on your casualty lists, because the accident occured prior to the start of the Great War.

Quote by oradour View Post
    jaba1914 I can only re state what the brief mention in 'Flight magazine' (a British periodical ) of July 1914 reported that on that date ''Lieut Schroeder, who drowned after his seaplane fell 40 mtrs'', he may not be on your casualty lists, because the accident occured prior to the start of the Great War.
    well if it's true then you have a great item, with a great history behind it, it really is in great shape

I have a realy good archive of the most navy pilots / observer from WW1 and before. The casualty list is not mine, it was published in the 30is and coverd also the period before outbreak of war.

June 1914 they were only a couple of navy flight stations but i don't have a Lt. Schroeder died on one of this station.

Do you have the location of this crash, maybe he survived.

Regards Alex

Quote by jaba1914 View Post
    I have a realy good archive of the most navy pilots / observer from WW1 and before. The casualty list is not mine, it was published in the 30is and coverd also the period before outbreak of war.

June 1914 they were only a couple of navy flight stations but i don't have a Lt. Schroeder died on one of this station.

Do you have the location of this crash, maybe he survived.

Regards Alex
    Alex, my mistake, the mans name was SCHROETER not Schroeder. His full details are :- KAPITANLEUTNANT WALTER SCHROETER, I think some detail was lost in translation coupled with my typing skills ! recorded as first fatal accident at Kiel Holtenau Navel air base on the 25th June 1914, where Schroeter was the base commander, there is a memorial stone for Schroeter at the base. This accident was reported in the July 1914 edition of 'Flight' magazine, here in Great Britain. See attached link for history on the base and the accident,
    Seeflieger
    this link is in German, as when translated some details are shortened.
    What a difference one letter can make in the spelling of a name !
    Prost !....Steve.
    Last edited by oradour; 07-15-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Thats right. Now everything is clear.

Regards Alex

Alex, can you give details of his service ?
    Thanks, Steve.

Have only a few information to this pioneer of the german naval aviation.

KptLt Walter Schroeter
    Geb: 29.01.1885 Kottwitz
    Tod: 25.06.1914 Kiel-Holtenau

pilot licence: 244 at 25.06.1912
    Training on Euler-Zweidecker at Eulerwerken on Frankfurt a.M.

1913 - 25.06.1914 Leader SFS Kiel-Holtenau

RAO4 03.01.1913

Regards Alex

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast