Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Imperial German medal bar

Article about: Hi all,,i have been offered this bar:Kaiser Wilhelm medal,Franco-German war medal,1870-71,Crown order 2nd class,Red eagle order 4th class,1870 Iron cross with non-combatant ribbon and 25 yea

Default Imperial German medal bar

Hi all,,i have been offered this bar:Kaiser Wilhelm medal,Franco-German war medal,1870-71,Crown order 2nd class,Red eagle order 4th class,1870 Iron cross with non-combatant ribbon and 25 year jubilee oak leaves,,,,can anyone shoot me a high/low figure on this??,,,thanks,,Robert
    Attached Images Attached Images Imperial German medal bar 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial German medal bar
    P
    Many

Default Re: Imperial German medal bar

militarymania, Beautiful set !...from what I can see original too !...£800+ ($1000 +), the EK II + jubilespange is approx £300, the 'Order of the Red Eagle' 4th class about the same..... this is only an estimate. However is the photo a reversed negative, i would of expected priority of the EK or Eagle order over the rest ?...

No idea on price, but expensive springs to mind! A very nice bar. I presume it is a frack bar rather than a reversed negative?

Richarddwh, of course !..you are quite right, it had completly slipped my mind...DOH !... for the benifit of other members who are also suffering from dementia ! (from time to time !)....the 'Frackenspange' was meant to be worn on civillian clothes for formal ocassions, and the medals on a Frackenspange were mounted in reverse order to show the wearer was no longer on active service.

?

What I would do to get my hands on this one! I would pay around 800 euro for this.

?

Anyone else notice that there seems to be differences in the ribbons? The NC EK2 ribbon seems to be very stained while the Eagle Order seems much more pristine. I love this bar and hope that I am just being paranoid!

Quote by Paul R View Post
    Anyone else notice that there seems to be differences in the ribbons? The NC EK2 ribbon seems to be very stained while the Eagle Order seems much more pristine. I love this bar and hope that I am just being paranoid!
    It is indeed odd !

The ribbons should all have the same amount of age and discolouration
    more or less, but you are right Paul, the EK is very different from the
    Eagle Order right next to it. Perhaps this is a made up set ?

I was also wondering about the lack of patina to the spange,
    and heavy toning on the EK directly below - Unless it is of
    a non-silver metal ?
    Regards,

Steve.

I don't have a frack yet but want one. The only time I have seen one in a movie was in "The boy in the striped pajamas". The grandpa is a WW1 Vet and wears one to dinner in the start of the film.

hi all this bar and the following medals come from an estate that was being brokered by another person,,,all were being sold for the daughter of the vet;the daughter is in her 80's,so obviously the vet is longtime deceased,,his Hindenburg Cross with medal,document and pic is of her late father...Robert
    Attached Images Attached Images Imperial German medal bar  Imperial German medal bar  Imperial German medal bar  Imperial German medal bar 

?

I am not doubting the story you were told... I am just stating an observation. The ribbons on the other medals are in a very different and much more pristine condition than that seen on the EK2.

Even if the 1870 vet was frugel and added medals as he received them, versus buying an entire new bar, I would expect to see the same patina on the 1870 Campaign medal and EK2 medal ribbons. This should not be the case.

Look at the uniform patina on the EK2. It is not even like it is a small spill. It covers the entire ribbon. One would expect to see similar carry over onto the other ribbons.

I know that this set is not coming cheap and for my money, I would want something that does not raise any suspicion in the back of my head.