Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Imperial Jaeger Triple Etched Sword

Article about: Hello, Im interested in this sword but would like to know if yall see any issues with it Thanks John

Thumbs up Imperial Jaeger Triple Etched Sword

Hello, Im interested in this sword but would like to know if yall see any issues with it
    Thanks
    John

Imperial Jaeger Triple Etched SwordImperial Jaeger Triple Etched SwordImperial Jaeger Triple Etched SwordImperial Jaeger Triple Etched SwordImperial Jaeger Triple Etched SwordImperial Jaeger Triple Etched SwordImperial Jaeger Triple Etched SwordImperial Jaeger Triple Etched SwordImperial Jaeger Triple Etched Sword

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial Jaeger Triple Etched Sword
    P
    Many

Value is always related to condition. It is a Prussian Model 1889 Kavalerie Degen with an over short straight blade typical of light cavalry. Probably made between 1910 through to early WW1. A few condition issues, the bakelite grip has some damage, hilt seems to have nicotine stains, scabbard looks repainted. Photos of blade tip would be useful as may be shortened post manufacture. It's an authentic known etching, maker of sword is I believe unknown. Why a named Jager Regiment etching on cavalry sword?, I can't answer. But probably a private purchase choice.
    Is it a good buy? will depend on what is being asked, but a few too many issues for me.
    Last edited by Anderson; 11-20-2019 at 09:47 AM. Reason: extra text

I'll post the same thing that I posted last night on WAF forum about this sword. I'll also add a couple more thoughts to what I had written previously.

The sword is a Jaeger zu Pferde sword (mounted riflemen on horseback.) The engraving is Jaeger Regiment zu Pferde. It is NOT a "Jaeger" regiment sword to an on foot Infantry Rifleman regiment as the title of this thread suggests.

Here's what I wrote on WAF:

Hi John,

I trust y'all know the difference between a jaeger, and a jaeger zu pferde?

(A Jaeger being an Infantry rifleman on foot, and a Jaeger zu Pferde cavalryman being a mounted rifleman on horseback.) This sword is engraved to Jaeger zu Pferde Reg't #2, meaning mounted riflemen on horseback.

Looks like someone buggered up the grip by trying to repair a large chipped/missing section out of the reverse side of the lower grip, and gobbed some sort of filler material into the missing section of celluloid grip.

The blade also has some assorted condition issues with it as of course you can see from the excellent photos you provided.

Hopefully it's very reasonably priced to take into account for these deficiencies.

These "Secondary" or "Extra" as they are called, private purchase swords with the engraving are not "rare". Some specific regiments might be harder to find or special, such as "Guard Regiments", etc. I don't know what your collecting situation is with finances or specific Imperial German Sword interests are. But if it were me, I'd hold out for a nicer condition example, if you have the patience to wait, and to maybe spend a couple hundred or so more on a nicer example (not knowing what this one is priced at). Far nicer examples of these can still be found in the $450 to $650 range, if that helps you to know. There's any number of these available for different Cavalry units (Kurassier, Dragoon, Ulan, Hussar, Jaeger zu Pferde) at any given time on eBay, and on various dealer sights. Of course dealers like Wittman and Johnson charge way more on their web sites for their cavalry sword offerings.

The rare examples of these swords are the actual issue, daily use swords that don't have the engraved blades on them. They don't seem to turn up very often.

If this was an actual issue/daily use sword, I wouldn't be so critical of it, but it's not. It's a Second or "Extra" sword, privately purchased by the cavalryman, and used mainly for walking out dress wear/parade wear, etc., so it would be expected to be in a whole lot better condition because of that status of not being used on an every day basis. Hopefully this makes sense to you to have it explained in this way.

Thanks for posting this and asking about it. I hope this helps you. Best wishes with your collecting! Imperial German Swords are a great as well as fun category to collect!

****** And as a side note John, you've missed out on far nicer Cavalry "triple engraved" swords on eBay USA recently in the $250 to $350 range. Seriously, please do yourself a favor and look at the sold listings under WW1 German edged weapons on eBay USA to educate yourself about what is available out there, and you'll be shocked to see what nice cavalry "Extra" swords with the triple engraving that you've missed out on for very reasonable prices since September of this year. You might be surprised to see what had been available to you. *******

Sincerely,

Alan

In agreement with the above, the issue types IMO are much harder to find. Best Regards, Fred