Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Imperial Tank Badge....opinions

Article about: I have researched and read everything on this site in regards to these Imperial Tank Badges. I would like opinions as to if the one I have is real. Here is the story. I run and ad in the loc

Default Imperial Tank Badge....opinions

I have researched and read everything on this site in regards to these Imperial Tank Badges. I would like opinions as to if the one I have is real. Here is the story. I run and ad in the local paper for WWl and WWll items. A guy called and said he had inherited most of his grandfathers war trophies. Wanted to know if I was interested. I bought everything he had, this medal, a german smoke grenade, two german practice grenades and a 50"x150" Party Banner for $450. I think the smoke grenade is WWI so I will post it here with this thread. I plan on posting the other two grenades and the Nazi banner in a different thread.

The badge is hollow, has a weep hole at the bottom and the detail matches the ones I have seen on this website that are represented as originals. It does not have a maker mark on the back...does that mean it is a reproduction?

I think the grenade is WWl. The top unscrews. The head is completely empty.

Please let me know opinions and what you think the value is for each of these items.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and opinions.

Kevin

Imperial Tank Badge....opinionsImperial Tank Badge....opinions

Last edited by rbminis; 03-29-2022 at 01:08 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial Tank Badge....opinions
    P
    Many

Default Re: Imperial Tank Badge....opinions

I should add...this is my first post. I have been reading through threads on this site for a few months and really enjoy all the info and people that seem to want to help and maintain this history.

Regards,
    Kevin

?

WW1 German Tank badges are one of the most copied/faked badges on the market . There are examples that are frightenly good and ones that would not even fool a blind man. Unfortunately there is such limited info. on this scarce badge that it is now impossible ,or virtually impossible to say 100% which is a correct one. The waters have been well and truley muddied for all concerned,so much so that most people pay no mind to them as they are most likely fakes in the majority. I would guess that every one out of a thousand you see MAY be original. I own an example that I bought around 8-10 years ago ,it is in silver (800 marked) and of two piece construction, the detail and workmanship is fantastic, it is an exact image of the one in Detlev Niemanns reference book but I am not really sure about it as one can never be. All I can say is if you like it and are reasonably comfortable with it and it did not cost you much then enjoy it.
    Ferg1.

?

Here's my example,wonderful detail,all I can say is if it is a copy then it must have cost more than I paid for it to make ! Ferg1.

?

Close up of detail. and reverse Ferg1

Ferg1....I appreciate your comments. Prior to purchasing this, I had never seen one of these badges. So I have enjoyed learning about the history of this award. I would still like to hear others opinions and see more examples. As far as the grenade, can anyone shed some light on it?

Kevin

Hi Kevin, the grenade I can help with.

It is WW1 German. The maker is "AEG" who are still around today making washing machines etc. The 5 and a half Sek refers to the fuse length. 5.5 seconds. I have a similar one in my collection.

Cheers, Ade.

Kevin, just for your info, found this on the net, a supposed appraisel from a museum in the Ukraine, who knows if this original or not......i personally doubt it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial Tank Badge....opinions  

?

I have the same problem with items like this myself. I tend to ignore these items most of the time. I have a fake just because I wanted to examine one close up. Just because theres no makers mark doesnt mean its fake. Sorry I cant give you the info we all seek. Lee

?

even so it is a very detailed badge.