Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Imperial/TR Group ID Please

Article about: hi Folks,I recently aquired this group and am hoping that someone out there can positively ID the last nedal in the group. The group appears to be Bavarian originally and the medal I am afte

Guten Abend and Hi HPL, Many thanks for your valued assistance with these items. I have purchased some books on the subject but apparently, not the ones that I need?? The Bulgarian medal is something of a surprise to me as I thought the crown was German being similar in style to that worn as a pommel on the KM dagger. But having just had a closer look, I can see the differences. To your knowledge, are Bulgarian medals often worn by German/Prussian veterans? The medal is very nicely finished and of high quality. Thank you once again for your knowledge and help.
    With best wishes Michael R

Quote by Michael Ryan View Post
    To your knowledge, are Bulgarian medals often worn by German/Prussian veterans? The medal is very nicely finished and of high quality.
    Bulgarian Medals are not too unusual on German ribbon/medal bars, both from WWI and again from WWII. (Although after Bulgaria's declaration of war on Germany in September 1944, they were no more allowed to be worn.)

A typical example for a Bulgarian medal often worn by German WWI veterans is the Bulgarian War Commemorative Medal. Out of a total of some 280,000 medals, some 200,000 went to German veterans! (That's not the medal seen on this medal bar, though.)

Hi again HPL and Guten Tag!! Thank you once again for your messages and information. It is very nice to be able to talk to people like yourself who have the knowledge and inclination to assist and advise. I keep addressing you as HPL but do you have a real name?? And, what part of Germany are you in? I used to be part of an audit team and visited Germany several times but never discovered where to look for collectables?? I assume that you collect Imperial medals? Are you interested in any other collecting fields?
    Right, Thank you once again for your advice and assistance and I look forward to hearing from you again.
    With thanks, regards and best wishes Michael R

Thank you once again for your messages and information. It is very nice to be able to talk to people like yourself who have the knowledge and inclination to assist and advise. I keep addressing you as HPL but do you have a real name?? And, what part of Germany are you in?
    You're welcome; glad I could be of some help. You may call me Andreas and I live in Bavaria.

I assume that you collect Imperial medals? Are you interested in any other collecting fields?
    Yes; I do have some Imperial-era items...:
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imper...1898-a-276557/
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imper...klasse-314635/

...as well as post-war material:
    57er Deutsches Kreuz in Gold grouping
    1957er EK1 and ribbon bar
    Some DDR badges

But as for the main focus of my collection, please see here:
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/order...enkreuz-72201/

Hi Andreas, Thank you for your message and links. I have taken a ride through the links and I totally agree with you reference the 1914/1918 Ehrenkreutz. I think that its design is both un elaborate yet striking in its simplicity in fact the very first German medal I ever owned was the Ehrenkruetz and that was over 50 years ago. I now have a number of Crosses on a variety of medal bars both Imperial and TR. I also have have one on a watch chain presumably worn by the original recipient?? I have been considdering starting a thread on medal groups, do you think it a worthwhile idea?

I notice that you do not mention TR medals on the links! Do you collect TR medals or do you stear clear of them? I also have a number of cased medals including some Eagle Orders and Iron Crosses etc.

I have several other Imperial groups with, as yet, unidentified componet medals and if it is OK with you I will post them and you may be kind enough to advise me of their titles etc??

Cheers for now Michael R

I have been considdering starting a thread on medal groups, do you think it a worthwhile idea?
    I am sure it will be of interest to our members, so do go ahead.

I notice that you do not mention TR medals on the links! Do you collect TR medals or do you stear clear of them?
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but, instituted in 1934, the 1914/18 Ehrenkreuz is very much a Third Reich decoration.
    I have a few others, though. My main interest actually is the Third Reich era - both its history and in terms of uniformology and phaleristics - even though I do not collect these items heavily, so you could say much of my interest is of a theoretical nature.

I have several other Imperial groups with, as yet, unidentified componet medals and if it is OK with you I will post them and you may be kind enough to advise me of their titles etc??
    Feel free to post them. (You don't have to ask me for permission; I don't own this place and am no administrator or moderator, either.) I am confident that our members here will help you with identification. It doesn't have to be me, necessarily; we have many knowledgable members here, and I am certainly not an expert or authority on Imperial-era awards and decorations (or anything else, for that matter).

Hi Andreas, Thank you for your message. No, you are quite correct, I do not have to ask you, but I trust your opinion and admire you knowledge!!!!! I will probably start a thread on medal groups and see what transpires. Of the TR period, what inerests you?

Yes, the Cross is a TR medal as you say but in my experience, people tend not to accept Imperial groups as TR when the only non Imperial medal is the 1914/18 Ehrenkreuz. This attitude is a bit silly as the only time a group containing the cross can have been last completed is in the TR. A further point I would make is that a number of WWI veterans must have lost their medals to booty collectors and they must have had to replace their items either during the Weimar or TR periods??

Thank you once again for your continued assistance. Very best wishes Michael.

I for one would like to see more of your Imperial bars - whether
    they are comprised of later TR awards or not !

Back in '74 or '75 an Ehrenkreuz was my first
    German medal also.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2