Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Infanterie Regt 102 postcard translation please

Article about: I recently acquired a simple soldier's postcard from a member of 3rd Kompanie, Infanterie Regiment 102. Nicely stamped May 18, 1917 from Zittau in Saxony. I assume it is to the soldier's mot

Default Infanterie Regt 102 postcard translation please

I recently acquired a simple soldier's postcard from a member of 3rd Kompanie, Infanterie Regiment 102. Nicely stamped May 18, 1917 from Zittau in Saxony.

I assume it is to the soldier's mother or perhaps wife being addressed to Frau Anna Wendler in the town of what looks like Bautren (or Bautnen), Neudorf. I can't find such a town but perhaps the names have changed as the area could now be a part of the Czech republic. The postcard has been trimmed to remove frayed edges no doubt but I don't think significant text has been lost.

If possible, I would appreciate a translation of the text of the postcard. Print German I can more or less struggle through but handwritten is a loss for me!

Many thanks in advance!

Infanterie Regt 102 postcard translation please Infanterie Regt 102 postcard translation please Infanterie Regt 102 postcard translation please Infanterie Regt 102 postcard translation please

?

Hello,

I believe the name of the town is Obercunewalde near Bautzen, Eastern Saxony (historical region of Upper Lusatia).

Sadly, I am able to decipher only certain parts of the text and can offer just a general overview of the content. Hopefully, someone more experienced might come around and help us to solve the mystery of the remaining gaps.

"Zittau, den 16. Mai 1917
    Liebe Schwester!
    Kam mit … [1] ganz gut an, aber als wir vom Bahnhof kamen, da kam uns gerade das Gewitter über den Hals, da waren wir auch so … naß geworden. Ich werde vor Pfingsten nicht mehr heim kommen, könnte ja Sonntag kommen, aber … Gefällt es dir denn … auch … allein.
    So grüßt dich … Paul"

---
    [1] Seems like family name followed by first name. Maybe something like Wintler Karl?

Roughly meaning:

"Dear sister,
    I arrived with … quite well but as we went from the railway station, a storm took us by surprise so we too got … soaked. I will not get home before the Pentecost. [2] I could come on Sunday, but… [the rest is too fragmented to translate into English].
    Greets you … Paul"

---
    [2] In 1917, Pentecost Sunday was on May 27. https://kalender-365.de/feiertage.php?yy=1917

Many thanks, Pavel. That is very helpful!