Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Infantry regiment 77

Article about: Taff, I love these "Books", little pieces of history and they can be further researched.....the "Soldbuch" was kept by the soldier (on his person, at all times), the &quo

?

Default Infantry regiment 77

This is an interesting tunic and helmet in that I got it from a WWII vet that brought it back with a bunch of Nazi stuff.
    His name Was John J Stidham. He was in the First Special Service Forces from the beginning of that unit and when it was disbanded was transfered to the 505th Airborne Battalion until his honorable discharge at the end of the war. I knew him as the manager of the local electric office in Picher, Oklahoma. He was a good guy. Rough as an old boot but a nice guy.
    The Helmet chinstrap leather is replaced. It was broken with a piece of the leather missing and I took the hardware and made a new leather piece.
    SteveR
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Infantry regiment 77   Infantry regiment 77  

Infantry regiment 77   Infantry regiment 77  

Default Re: Infantry regiment 77

Very nice steve and in great shape as well. Its good to know whare things came from and the history behind them..........ERIC

What a collection you have,some very nice items rare and very collectable.

Steve, again a very nice "Dunkelblau" tunic....however, it is not from "2. Hannoversches Infanterie-Regt. Nr.77" (Celle) X Armee Korps, as J.R.77 was not authorised to wear "Litzen", that is the ornimental bars around the collar and on the cuffs, these were usually traits of the Guard Corps and certain other authorised Regiments, J.R.77 not being one of them....the shoulder straps on your tunic are original, but not to that tunic, notice how they are badly "tacked" on ! they would not be attached in such away originally. I can supply you with a list of Regiments that did/were authrised to weat Litzen, so that you can seek out an appropriate pair. The Pickelhaube with its "Waterloo" Bandanau, is a fine specimen and was worn by J.R.77 along with Infantry Regiments 73, 74, 78, 164, and 165.
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Thanks pal. I really appreciate the information.
    I got the stuff from John and never questioned it. Just goes to show you can get it from a vet and it can still be wrong. He said ne got them for half a pack of cigarettes.
    I would love to correct the uniform with a correct pair of shoulder boards.
    SteveR
    Last edited by SteveR; 01-23-2011 at 04:39 PM.

?

Hey Steve;
    It never occured to me to pay any attention tp the stamp on the liner. Obviously I know very little about Imperial tunics. They were never the center of my collecting interests. I am adding a picture of what I now recognize as the unit marker. It appeared as if they had been marked out so I didn't pay any attention to it.
    Thanks
    again
    SteveR
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Infantry regiment 77  

Steve, indeed, Reserve Infantry Regiment 39 (R.J.R.39) shadowed its parant Regiment, the "Niederrheinisches Füsilier-Regt. Nr.39" garrisoned at Düsseldorf, and part of 7th Army Corps....This Regiment also did NOT wear "Litzen" on its tunics either....a mystery ?.... your markings are crossed out, this was the usual way of de-commisioning the tunic from its issueing Regiment, it would then, usually, be remarked with the new Regiment marking, obviously this one slipped through the net, or more probably the owner of the tunic transfered to a Guard Regiment (There were huge movements of personal between units during the war), and failed to mark the tunic after adding the regulation Litzen, after all it would only of been used back in the garrison during wartime, I will compile a list of authorised Regiments that wore "double bar" litzen in white, as soon as possible.
    Hope that helps, Prost ! Steve.

?

I recently bought 2 documents beloning to the same soldier. One is his Soldbuch. The other has an ink stamp for the 77th Infantry Regiment. He signed up in 1877.

I've taken a couple of scans but haven't yet learned how to post them on this particular forum. If anyone can help me do this I'll give it a try or if you want them sent to your email let me know.

Taff

Quote by taff View Post
    I've taken a couple of scans but haven't yet learned how to post them on this particular forum. If anyone can help me do this I'll give it a try or if you want them sent to your email let me know.

Taff
    I just learned my self with Ade's help. Here's what he told me.

" Re: Belt Buckle WWI
    Hi Anton, I have copied the photos to our server and added them to your post. Please see the tech forum to learn how to upload pics. There is a step by step guide. Using outside photo hosting sites slows down performance.

Cheers, Ade. "

?

That was very helpful. I understand that this was originally a Hanovarian Regiment.
    If anyone is particularly interested I could scan other pages.

Taff

Infantry regiment 77Infantry regiment 77Infantry regiment 77

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast