Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

info on iron cross (EK ?) needed

Article about: Hi all. can any one tell me about this item? I think it maybe first world war, but i could be way off. i also think it may be damaged, should there be some emblem at the top? i am looking to

?

Default info on iron cross (EK ?) needed

Hi all.

can any one tell me about this item? I think it maybe first world war, but i could be way off. i also think it may be damaged, should there be some emblem at the top?

i am looking to sell, along with othe items due to my wedding in april.

thanks for any input.

Austin.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture info on iron cross (EK ?) needed   info on iron cross (EK ?) needed  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement info on iron cross (EK ?) needed
    P
    Many

Default Re: info on iron cross (EK ?) needed

Looks like a very mistreated WW1 Iron Cross 2nd Class. Should have a suspension ring, which has been broken off, and the ribbon ring would be attached to that. The ribbon would be threaded through the ring.

?

Thanks Roger, it was give to me rolled up in this ribbon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture info on iron cross (EK ?) needed  

OK, can't really tell from the picture but it looks like a good ribbon. However, even in good condition these crosses are not very expensive.

Looking at the cross more closely, you can see that the frames are not of a consistent width all around the outside edge. I'm more of a 1939 EK person (and a newbie), but that would be a red flag for me.

There will be an expert along to tell you more about it, but I would not put it in my collection.

?

Thanks again Roger, i did look on e-bay and they where around £15-£20 for vgc, so i expected a low value. as for the validity i can not say as i know very little about this item. i have other stuff to sell, so maybe if it is genuine i will donate it to someone. along with ribbon.

Well, at least you have come to the right place for information. Welcome to the forum, hope to see more postings. Congratulations on your wedding. Mazel tov!

I have a broken WWI EKII like this as well. I think it should
    sell for around $40. That is what it cost me.

That is a nice long ribbon too.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Thanks for all your help people. but just to let you know it will be on its way to Oregon this weekend, as i have donated it. due to its damage and probable lack of interest from buyers. nice to know it wont see any more attics.

As noted above, your cross is a ww1 iron cross 2nd class.
    It is NOT a fake or reproduction. Judging from the
    style of the crown and the low relief "W" and date, I would guess
    that the missing ribbon ring would have be maker marked "KO".
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.