Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Information on Order of the White Falcon Badge

Article about: Hello As you can see this is my first post. I am seeking information on an item. I know it is an SAXE-WEIMAR Order of Vigilance or Order of the White Falcon Medal. The Medal is made of 14K g

?

Default Information on Order of the White Falcon Badge

Hello
    As you can see this is my first post. I am seeking information on an item.
    I know it is an SAXE-WEIMAR Order of Vigilance or Order of the White Falcon Medal.
    The Medal is made of 14K gold, it is 66mm tall measuring from the top of the gold ring to the lowest right tip of the star. The large Crown is 23mm wide and Star is 35mm wide. No swords.
    What I would like to know is. What Class it is, If there is any way to find out how old it is and of course how much is it worth. Any information would be appreciated. If anyone would like to see a photo I would be more than happy to send one to you if you send me an email address to send it to.
    Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Information on Order of the White Falcon Badge  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Information on Order of the White Falcon Badge
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Information on Order of the White Falcon Badge

Here is a photo of the back side of the Medal and also I will post a photo of a second Item that was found in the same small box. Thanks you for any informaion you might have.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Information on Order of the White Falcon Badge   Information on Order of the White Falcon Badge  

SCTroy, a super medal, the "Order of Vigilance" also known as the "Order of the White Falcon " is a Grand Ducal order of the State of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach. An award founded by Grand Duke Ernest Augustus I in 1732 and reinstated in 1815 by Grand Duke Charles Augustus. Originally of four classes, a silver cross (the one you show) added in 1878. The motto on the medal..."Viglando Ascendimus" meaning "Through Vigilance we ascend"
    Your medal looks to me, to be be the real thing..as I know they are reproduced, badly ! It is worth a considerable sum, the last one I observed for sale was over $5000 ! It is a "Commander 1st Class" version of the award, and was suspended on a red ribbon. Shown are "Commander 1st Class" showing the correct ribbon, and other classes of the order. The other badge shown IMO looks to be "Masonic" and cannot comment further on.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Attached Images Attached Images Information on Order of the White Falcon Badge  Information on Order of the White Falcon Badge 

?

Steve
    Thank you for your response and information. The award that I have does not have a cross on top of the crown and the smaller photo that you posted looks like it also does not have the cross on the top of the crown. Using a jeweler’s loop it looks like it was made without the cross. It does not look like something was broken off or repaired. Is this how you can tell what class it is?
    Thank you. Jeff

SCTroy have a look here, it is complicated....Order of the White Falcon - Gentleman's Military Interest Club note that wartime awarded orders had crossed swords to indicate the fact they were given in a time of war, 1870/71 and 1914/18. After looking at this thread and your cross, I now think yours is a "Knights 2nd Class" without swords......sorry for any confusion, but you do not come across these awards that often, it is still a learning curve for me !
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Thanks Steve. I read all five pages / 87post at least twice and its not just complicated its confusing. What I read or understood from the forum is there are Five Classes of this Award.
    Grand Cross = larger sizes for Royal Members or Grand Cross and Commander Cross can be the same size, Both are made of Gold.
    Commander 1st Class = Commander 1st class would be the same neck award with a breast star. Neck award Gold and breast star gold and silver.
    Commander 2nd class = Commander 2nd class is the neck award without a breast star. Gold
    Knight 1st =Breast award in real gold or bronze gilt for WWI and after.
    Knight 2nd = breast award in silver or bronze gilt

Neck Award and Breast Award must be the same Award? Not the Breast Star.

AND Senior NCOs and warrant officer-type ranks which was also the typical rank for the General Honor Decoration in Gold. Regular NCOs got the General Honor Decoration in Silver, and junior enlisted the General Honor Decoration in Bronze.
    NCOs = Non Commissioned Officers? That’s just a guess I have no idea what it stands for.

There are also miniature’s and ribbon bars for this order. So really the only difference in the classes are Size, Gold, Silver or Bronze and if it is worn with a Breast Star or a Ribbon.
    Any way by now I look like I must be crazy. I will take a break and try reading it again tomorrow and maybe I will have a better understanding of the differences.
    Thanks for all you help
    Jeff.

?

Steve.
    I posted the same question on the other foruma and Dave explained how to tell the classes apart. Here is the information he posted.
    This one is a Knight 1st Class.
    The Grand Cross measured 106mm x 60 mm, the Commander's Cross 88mm x 50 mm, and the Knight's Cross 63mm x 38mm.
    There is an White Falcon Award on EBay that is the same size as the one I have and it is listed as a Grand Cross. Its been on Ebay for quite some time, It is offered at 5K. Do you think it has not sold because the price or because it is only offered for sell in the US. or because it is only a Knights 1st Class? I ask a lot of questions. Sorry
    I realy thank you for your help and direction.
    Thank you.
    Jeff.