Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting twice-issued pickelhaube

Article about: Hi, I just came up with an interesting Bayern Fussartillerie pickelhaube, M96 infantry pattern with sliding vent, correct for Bayern fussartillerie, with quite unusual stampings in the crown

?

Default Interesting twice-issued pickelhaube

Hi, I just came up with an interesting Bayern Fussartillerie pickelhaube, M96 infantry pattern with sliding vent, correct for Bayern Interesting twice-issued pickelhaubeInteresting twice-issued pickelhaubeInteresting twice-issued pickelhaubeInteresting twice-issued pickelhaubefussartillerie, with quite unusual stampings in the crown. The helmet was issued twice, to 2B, 3FsAR and to 3B, 12K, 2FsAR, plus a stamp 'CM', whatever that is. (If anyone knows, let me know) The inkstamps for 3FsAR, on the neckguard, have been partly rubbed out, but those for 2FsAR are deeply stamped into the leather in the crown, plus two of them are in a box. I assume they are the second issue, and they didn't bother to replace the neckguard. There is also an inkstamp II Garniture mark. I thought the deep-stamped ones are rather nice.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Interesting twice-issued pickelhaube
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Interesting twice-issued pickelhaube

Can we see pictures of the entire helmet please?

?

Default Re: Interesting twice-issued pickelhaube

Quote by SteveR View Post
    Can we see pictures of the entire helmet please?
    Yes, here it is. It is very dirty but otherwise pretty OK, will clean up well. Brass fittings so no great problem to remove dirt, and leather in overall good condition. Will post a photo when it has been made more presentable. The use of the M96 Bayern infantery helmet by Fussartillerie, classed as foot troops in that Kingdom, seems almost totally overlooked, a topic recently up on another forum, and I've checked all the books I have without finding a single thing about it. There is a very small and easily missed comment on it on Tony's site, Kaisers Bunker, but it was only when I actually checked carefully that I spotted it, as its only a passing mention. Every site or book otherwise that I've seen states that Bayern artillery used the cruciform base and Bayern style artillery spike up to the balltop in 1916. Interesting.Interesting twice-issued pickelhaubeInteresting twice-issued pickelhaube