Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Iron Cross Screwback

Article about: Good Afternoon Guys, I have an Iron Cross with a screwback on it, not sure if it is a replica or original, and what was the purpose of the screwback medals? Jonny

Default Iron Cross Screwback

Good Afternoon Guys,

I have an Iron Cross with a screwback on it, not sure if it is a replica or original, and what was the purpose of the screwback medals?

Jonny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Iron Cross Screwback   Iron Cross Screwback  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Iron Cross Screwback
    P
    Many

According to some research I've done in anticipation of receiving my first EK I, it seems that screwbacks were always private purchase pieces. Sales were under the control of the LDO after being approved in 1941. This obviously concerns the 1939 EK 1, though. I could not tell you about WWI EK's, as these fall outside of my area of interest.

As for authenticity, I do not consider myself qualified enough to hazard a guess. I'll let others with more knowledge and experience take this one.

Regards, B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    According to some research I've done in anticipation of receiving my first EK I, it seems that screwbacks were always private purchase pieces. Sales were under the control of the LDO after being approved in 1941. This obviously concerns the 1939 EK 1, though. I could not tell you about WWI EK's, as these fall outside of my area of interest.

Regards, B.B.
    As this is a WW I EK, this LDO information is actually not relevant, although they were likely still private purchase.

This example was believed to be produced by Wilhelm Deumer during the TR era as a replacement for veterans.
    I believe your example is a copy.
    Here is mine to compare. Check the front edge of the star shell screw back, there should be no "border" visible. Also, compare the crown details.
    Ralph.

P.S. Just a suggestion, you will get more members willing to help if you make the effort to post your photos in the correct orientation.

Iron Cross Screwback
    Iron Cross Screwback
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Jonny,
    Sorry to say that the screwback that you posted is a fake. It is one of the most
    common fakes found on ebay right now. Easily recognized by the style of crown.

ww1 cross manufactures had all sorts of various screws and pins to attach the crosses
    to the uniforms. That's one thing that makes collection ww1 crosses fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images Iron Cross Screwback 
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.