Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Iron for Gold Ring

Article about: Reflected is a ring that is made of steel reflecting the WWI Iron Cross & oakleaves also the date 1914. On one side of the ring it reads "Gab Ich in Schwererzeit ihm Gold fuer diese

?

Default Iron for Gold Ring

Reflected is a ring that is made of steel reflecting the WWI Iron Cross & oakleaves also the date 1914. On one side of the ring it reads "Gab Ich in Schwererzeit ihm Gold fuer dieses Eisen" Translated: In hard times I gave him gold for this iron" the word "Him" indicates the Fatherland. On the other side of the ring it reads" Dem Alten Vaterland Die Treue zu Weisen" Translated: To Honor my Old Fatherland. below this is DHG,NY(Deutsche Heimats Gruppe, New York).
    I would say that this is a very seldom found ring, as this was a donation conducted by a loyal German in the USA at the onset of WWI.

Horst
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Iron for Gold Ring   Iron for Gold Ring  

Iron for Gold Ring  
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

?

Default Re: Iron for Gold Ring

Very nice. I have one of these. Picked up 12 years back, along with a medal/medallion that I believe is for similar.

Are these worth much? Your's is in better shape than mine, as always.

regards

?

Really cant say much about value, have had this for over 20years.
    The unique thing is the fact that it was purchased in New York for the german cause and is marked NY.

Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

This is a very interesting ring Horst. I guess the Americans didn't care at this point since it was almost two and half years until we were sending boys over. Thanks for showing.

Jay

Horst, thats a great piece of history and a nice looking ring !...I knew the U.S. had a huge population of German emigrees that were bound to have loyalty to the 'old country', but i had'nt realised it extended into the 'Gold for Iron' program. Heres an example of a usual German home front item, the program was on-going throughout WW1, it urged citizens to exchange gold jewellry for iron, to aid the war effort, in return they were given 'iron' made trinkets, medals and other forms of jewellry, to show they had participated. This 1916 medal, shows a woman surrendering her jewellry ringed by the patriotic slogan '' Iron Time", with another slogan on the rear exclaiming the virtue of 'giving gold for iron as to honour resistance'. These medals, approx size of an old Doller piece, can be found in a specially made mount for wearing as a pendant or watch/key fob attachment. Unfortunatly, the reciepient would of been financially better off keeping the gold as these 'medals', even now, are cheap as chips !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Iron for Gold Ring   Iron for Gold Ring  

?

Great ring I was just given one of these rings . A friends dad had two of them mixed in with his WWII medals and pins

Iron for Gold Ring