Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Jager zu Pferde helmet with battle damage.

Article about: The latest edition to my collection is this rather battered Jager zu Pferde helmet which is probably a battlefield pick-up. The helmet looks as though it may have fallen victim to an air-bur

Default Jager zu Pferde helmet with battle damage.

The latest edition to my collection is this rather battered Jager zu Pferde helmet which is probably a battlefield pick-up. The helmet looks as though it may have fallen victim to an air-burst. The Wappen has taken a hit and been decapitated, there are several tiny puncture holes (not rust holes) and one larger hole to the rear. Whatever caused the larger hole also went through the liner, but there are no signs of the so-called 'blood-rot' which so many believe in. But I am not one of them! A few of the chin-scales are missing, and the skull of the helmet is distorted. part of the trim is also missing from the right-side of the neck. There are no makers-marks, and the only markings on it are a number 5 behind the Wappen, and another 5 stamped inside. The owner's initials are carved into the liner. The entry hole to the skull could have proven fatal - or at the very least it would have caused severe injury to the back of the head. I shall now retire to my shed and dig out the emery cloth, sander, and whatever else I need to remove the rust.

Jager zu Pferde helmet with battle damage.Jager zu Pferde helmet with battle damage.Jager zu Pferde helmet with battle damage.Jager zu Pferde helmet with battle damage.Jager zu Pferde helmet with battle damage.Jager zu Pferde helmet with battle damage.Jager zu Pferde helmet with battle damage.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Jager zu Pferde helmet with battle damage.
    P
    Many

Cracking looking helmet Steve, what a brilliant pick up!..

great find.

Default The results of my efforts.

Well, here we are. A bit of time spent with very fine wire-wool and plenty of light oil. I spent about an hour going over the skull, and then afterwards I gave it a liberal coating of traditional beeswax polish. I know some collector's frown upon this, but from my point of view I am doing my best to preserve a fairly rare helmet. The use of beeswax as a preservative on metal is nothing new, and it is even used on many well-know museum collections. It does no harm to the finish - and isn't even noticeable after it has been applied. When I see a rusty helmet such as this first looked, I don't visualise it as an 'untouched' helmet. I see it as a 'neglected' helmet. Providing the level of cleaning is kept to a minimum, no harm will be done. I only gave the Wappen the slightest of cleaning, and I have no intention of polishing up the brass work shiny-bright. The liner was given a coating of Pecard antique leather dressing. Scratched into the liner are the initials AT. The eagle-eyed amongst you will notice that the cockades are on the wrong sides. This was corrected AFTER I took the pictures!

Jager zu Pferde helmet with battle damage.Jager zu Pferde helmet with battle damage.Jager zu Pferde helmet with battle damage.Jager zu Pferde helmet with battle damage.

Really nice, Steve! Glad to see that this made it into your collection. Wow, it cleaned up nicely!

Luke

Very nice helmet
    And great job of bringing him back to life

Steve, I sent you a pm
    Not sure if it went through
    Cheers

Fantastic helmet Steve - Well done!

Hey Steve, missed this post somehow...
    Very nice pic up!!
    Loaded of history...
    I got something similar in this week...
    I will open a specific post asap regarding this helmet.
    Jager zu Pferde helmet with battle damage.Jager zu Pferde helmet with battle damage.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Nice
    I saw it on Pickelhaube.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast