Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Just in - 1917 Rucksack!

Article about: Just picked this item up, it looks great to me, but being new to field equipment, I'm wondering if anyone has any comments on it, and do you think 36.50 euros was a good price?

Default Just in - 1917 Rucksack!

Just picked this item up, it looks great to me, but being new to field equipment, I'm wondering if anyone has any comments on it, and do you think 36.50 euros was a good price?

Just in - 1917 Rucksack!

Just in - 1917 Rucksack!

Just in - 1917 Rucksack!

Just in - 1917 Rucksack!

Just in - 1917 Rucksack!

Just in - 1917 Rucksack!

Just in - 1917 Rucksack!

Just in - 1917 Rucksack!

Just in - 1917 Rucksack!

Just in - 1917 Rucksack!

Just in - 1917 Rucksack!

Just in - 1917 Rucksack!

Just in - 1917 Rucksack!

Just in - 1917 Rucksack!

Just in - 1917 Rucksack!

Just in - 1917 Rucksack!

Just in - 1917 Rucksack!

Just in - 1917 Rucksack!

Just in - 1917 Rucksack!

Just in - 1917 Rucksack!

Just in - 1917 Rucksack!
    Last edited by Troy Tempest; 01-31-2012 at 03:10 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Just in - 1917 Rucksack!
    P
    Many

Default Re: Just in - 1917 Rucksack!

I like it allot and you got it for a bargain! Wish I found it! for me to complete it I'd need the ammo pouches
    Last edited by reneblacky; 02-01-2012 at 07:29 AM. Reason: added text

Cool, thanks mate, I also picked up a very nice 1928/1935 canteen, it's in fantastic condition, I posted photos of it in the Third Reich field equipment forum. That was even more of a bargain - less than 10 euros Sometimes all that net surfing pays off. You seem to be way more knowledgeable in these matters, what would you normally pay for something like this, all bargains aside? I like to have good replacement cost details for insurance. Thanks for your interest and your help.

No true idea of current values as this is outside of my collecting fields, but it sounds like a good price to me.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Troy, a nice Infantry Model 1895 backpack (Tornister 95 or Tornister 96 in Bavaria) the backpack was light brown in colour bordered with tan leather and covered with fur covered calf or horse hide, although this covering during the war years, due to material shortage was eliminated, like the one you have......The frame work of the back was made from wood and lined with waterproof canvas. The backpack flap could also hold equipment, as well as the central frame, which fasten with two flaps.....there were several compartments for storing clothes, cartridges,rations and tent accessories. In the middle of the pack was a shelf, used to store personal accessories, toothbrush, sewing and washing kits together with a meat tin. The use of compartments saw to correct weight distribution. The list of regulation contents is rather long...I will post if requested. The tent (Zeltbahn) accessories were stored in a seperate bag (often ochre in colour) the "Zeltzubehorbeutel" which was strapped inside the pack to leather loops on the top of the central frame, when fitted the opening flap should be on the left side.....The back pack was carried over the shoulders by two leather suspension straps...which were attached to the pack by screw nuts, they were adjustable, these straps ran over the shoulder and fastened to the ammo pouch with a large metal hook, each strap had a smaller strap affixed on a moveable pivot, these smaller straps ran under the armpits and hooked onto the lower part of the pack. The greatcoat was/could be carried either seperatly or wrapped up in the zeltbahn and attached around the pack in a horseshoe pattern by three straps......finally a mess tin was attached to the front flap of the pack with two straps.....I show my pack made up per these regulations (no great coat !), note the "ochre coloured " tent bag poking out either side of the pack, near to the top. These pack make great displays, but being big and bulky has helped keep there prices down...sadly not an expensive item....around £60 will get you one these days, so the price you paid was a bargain !
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Just in - 1917 Rucksack!   Just in - 1917 Rucksack!  

Just in - 1917 Rucksack!  

Troy..here is a packs contents, explained in German !
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Just in - 1917 Rucksack!  

Wow Steve! Thanks for the informative post mate. I see I have a bit to get yet to complete my pack as per regulations