Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Kaiser Wilhelm 1797-1897 original commorative badge?

Article about: Greetings. My German neighbor gave me this badge. I do not have a clue about this medal and online hunting has not been rewarding. Any ideas if this is original or not? It appears that the t

?

Default Kaiser Wilhelm 1797-1897 original commorative badge?

Kaiser Wilhelm 1797-1897 original commorative badge?Kaiser Wilhelm 1797-1897 original commorative badge?
    Greetings. My German neighbor gave me this badge. I do not have a clue about this medal and online hunting has not been rewarding. Any ideas if this is original or not? It appears that the top part was broken off and put back together quite crudely. Anyway, your thoughts would be appreciated! if original, are these rare?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kaiser Wilhelm 1797-1897 original commorative badge?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Kaiser Wilhelm 1797-1897 original commorative badge?

Greetings srdj, your item purports to be a "Kaiser Wilhelm I Centenary Medal (Kaiser Wilhelm I Zentenarmedaille), 1897" was a circular gilt bronze medal with loop for ribbon suspension; with portrait of Kaiser Wilhelm I in full military uniform facing right, inscribed ‘WILHELM DER GROSSE DEUTSCHER KAISER’ (Wilhelm the Great German Emperor) and "KOENING VON PREUSSEN" (King of Prussia); rear inscribed "ZUM ANDENKEN AN DER HUNDERSTEN GEBURTSTAG DES GROSSEN KAISERS WILHELM I 1797 - 22 MAERZ - 1897" (In commemoration of the hundredth birthday of the great Kaiser Wilhelm I 1797 - 22 March - 1897). The medal was awarded on 22 March 1897, the hundredth birthday of Kaiser Wilhelm I, to all military on active service and to the veterans of the wars of 1864, 1866 and 1870. It was made from Danish, Austrian and French cannon captured in those wars, designed by the artist Walter Schott (1861-1938) and produced by the Berlin medallists Firma L. Ostermann, founded in 1812 by Gottfried Bernhard Loos (1774-1843), the medal was suspended from a yellow ribbon. Kaiser Wilhelm I (1797-1888) became King of Prussia in 1861 and Emperor of a united Germany on 18 January 1871. His reign was most notable for the unification of Germany under the guidance of Otto von Bismarck and its rapid industrial and economic progress.
    That said I would question the originality of this particular medal.....it seems to be crude cast ? lacking in detail and pockmarked, as opposed to the crisp die stamped originals I have seen, they are common and even with original ribbon are not worth a great deal.
    See the quality of an original here.......
    Prost ! Steve.
    Attached Images Attached Images Kaiser Wilhelm 1797-1897 original commorative badge?  Kaiser Wilhelm 1797-1897 original commorative badge?  Kaiser Wilhelm 1797-1897 original commorative badge? 

?

Thank you kindly, Steve. Most informative indeed! I suspected a crude recast. Like all German medals, they never made any without beautiful detail. I don't have the heart to tell my neighbor it is a reproduction as he said he got it from his grandfather.
    I shall prost you with my freshly opened Augustiner.

I think your medal may be an badly worn original with a repaired ring.
    On the obverse side (with the face) you can see where the bronze
    attachment has been drilled out and a replacement of some other
    medal attached.

I have a few miniatures of these and have found they look very much
    like our American penny. Here is a comparison between Willie and Abe.
    Attached Images Attached Images Kaiser Wilhelm 1797-1897 original commorative badge? 
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.