Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Kompass fur Vorposten- Torpedo- Schnellboote und U-Boote by Carl Bamberg

Article about: This is a liquid Compass used on Torpedo-Schnell- and U boats. Its nicely marked with the Imperial Crown. The rose is painted with a light green paint thats lights up very easily in the dark

?

Default Kompass fur Vorposten- Torpedo- Schnellboote und U-Boote by Carl Bamberg

This is a liquid Compass used on Torpedo-Schnell- and U boats.
    Its nicely marked with the Imperial Crown.
    The rose is painted with a light green paint thats lights up very easily in the dark, only very little light is needed, it seems to be radio active.
    The conservator of the Compass museum warned my brother not to sleep to close to the compass....LOL
    I think it would be fun, seing my bro in the dark easily wiyhout using the light, LOL!
    Its has angles on it +15-0-15 and +60-0-60 degrees.
    The first set would most likely be the diving angles.
    The stegemann factory ( marked Steger on the compass) who repaired these compasses during WW1 is still in business.
    The pictures are sent to the company with a nice reply, unfortunate having no answer of the used scaling.....the compass museum in Germany also stated in this case that an exact compass with these degrees scales as this one has never been seen, nor by the museum nor by Stegemann.
    This Compass belongs to my brother, who would be gratefull with any info that could be provided by the warrelic members, so shoot ahead!

Cheers Ger
    Kompass fur Vorposten- Torpedo- Schnellboote und U-Boote by Carl BambergKompass fur Vorposten- Torpedo- Schnellboote und U-Boote by Carl BambergKompass fur Vorposten- Torpedo- Schnellboote und U-Boote by Carl BambergKompass fur Vorposten- Torpedo- Schnellboote und U-Boote by Carl BambergKompass fur Vorposten- Torpedo- Schnellboote und U-Boote by Carl BambergKompass fur Vorposten- Torpedo- Schnellboote und U-Boote by Carl BambergKompass fur Vorposten- Torpedo- Schnellboote und U-Boote by Carl BambergKompass fur Vorposten- Torpedo- Schnellboote und U-Boote by Carl BambergKompass fur Vorposten- Torpedo- Schnellboote und U-Boote by Carl Bamberg

?

Default Re: Kompass fur Vorposten- Torpedo- Schnellboote und U-Boote by Carl Bamberg

The radioactive part may well be the light green paint. Early 20th century luminous hands on watches and clocks were painted with Radium, a light green, highly radioactive paint.
    Not much help to you, just to make sure you know the dangers.
    Radium Dials

?

Default Re: Kompass fur Vorposten- Torpedo- Schnellboote und U-Boote by Carl Bamberg

Ger know sod all about these compasses...But looks a heavy old thing, I bet it has some history behind it too.The craftmanship that goes into building these things are amazing...I just love the look of it..A very nice piece hopefully somebody will be able to help you out old bean.. Cheers Terry.

I am not an expert on compasses but I have enough knowledge to recognize a Carl Bamberg gimbaled, magnetic compass, which that Model 1903 M414 is. They were introduced into the Kaiserliche-Marine in 1908 and were installed in four early Körting engine U-boats, U-1 to 4. Starting in 1910, only one and three axis gyro-compasses were install in the U-boats under construction (U-5 to 15) and all subsequent boats until the end of the war. No magnetic compasses were installed in U-boats that were launched after 1909. (Arno Spindler, Der Handelskrieg mit U-Booten, Chapter 10 "Das U-Bootsmaterial. Die militärisch-technischcen Vorbereitung und Vorbedingungen für den U-Bootskrieg," pp. 78-94, E. S. Mittler & Sohn, 1932) They were installed in surface craft throughout the war, but not used as the primary navigating compass. The Steger Company in Kiel was contracted to repair the Model 414 compasses.
    Some of the Model 414's have these stampings on them, +A15 10 5 0 5 10 15 -A and +E 60 50 0 50 60 -E. I don't know what they mean, but they have nothing to do with the boat's dive angle, which was monitored with inclinometers. Below are photographs of the three types of gyro-compasses that were installed in U-Boats during WWI. The photos are from Hans Techel, Der Bau von Unterseebooten auf der Germaniawerft, J. F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1922. Dwight

Kompass fur Vorposten- Torpedo- Schnellboote und U-Boote by Carl Bamberg

?

Dwight thank you very much for your info!
    Its highly appreciated!

Ger