Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

KVK on 'fob' hanger - inscribed names and unit ID, please?

Article about: A friend of mine, whose collection interest lies else where, had this 'Kriegsverdienstkreuz'/'War Merit Cross' sent to him by a third party. After debating the matter, we believe that it mig

?

Default KVK on 'fob' hanger - inscribed names and unit ID, please?

A friend of mine, whose collection interest lies else where, had this 'Kriegsverdienstkreuz'/'War Merit Cross' sent to him by a third party.

After debating the matter, we believe that it might be a momento of the Great War with the owners name being repeated on the individual links and maybe his fellow unit members also inscribed on the links (or something entirely different)?

We both find it odd, that one name is repeated over and over how ever.

I assume the makers code is 7 R.V. from Pforzheim? The maker being....?

Can anybody make out the unit(?) designation or what ever it is.

Could this have been intended as a fob or might it have had some other arcane use, that some here might know more about?

If anybody has any opinion and/or knowledge about this, it would be most welcome to hear.

Its like nothing, that Ive ever seen before (I have a KVK, but not with this odd looking appendage).

As always, any opinions welcome.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KVK on 'fob' hanger - inscribed names and unit ID, please?   KVK on 'fob' hanger - inscribed names and unit ID, please?  

KVK on 'fob' hanger - inscribed names and unit ID, please?   KVK on 'fob' hanger - inscribed names and unit ID, please?  

KVK on 'fob' hanger - inscribed names and unit ID, please?   KVK on 'fob' hanger - inscribed names and unit ID, please?  

hi ,

its a "ehrenkreuz für frontkämpfer" r.v. 7 is the marker ....there exist 3 different versions of it . with crosses , without and black edition...google it..
    there a more than 230 different marker types u see this type of medal very often .
    the silver chain is called " beer seidel " it comes from the university students connnection "z. frd. erg" means " zur freundlichen erinnerung - in good memory "

regards t.

The medal is not a Kriegsverdienstkreuz or KVK, but actually a 1914/18 Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer.

The fob is a corps student item.

M. König, F. Schwarz, W. Dobbelmann and H. Heerlein were fellow corps students of the fob's original owner B. Peschmann. "z. frd. Erg." and "S.S." are common abbreviations on student items; they stand for, respectively, "zur freundlichen Erinnerung" [= "as a friendly memory"] and "Sommersemester" [= "summer semester"]; in this case, the summer semester of 1913. The colors of the ribbon and the cypher next to the names identify the specific corps in question.

The cross does not belong on the fob; they were surely joined at some later date.

For a little more info, have a look at this thread: Mystery Watch Fob-SS?

Obviously, the two pieces don't belong together, as the fob is dated 1913 and the medal wasn't awarded until 1934...
    I believe the fob is civilian...either for a school or a sport's club/team...and someone just added the medal many years later...
    cheers, Glenn

?

Quote by powtrenchart View Post
    hi ,

its a "ehrenkreuz für frontkämpfer" r.v. 7 is the marker ....there exist 3 different versions of it . with crosses , without and black edition...google it..
    there a more than 230 different marker types u see this type of medal very often .
    the silver chain is called " beer seidel " it comes from the university students connnection "z. frd. erg" means " zur freundlichen erinnerung - in good memory "

regards t.

Thanks for comprehensive and VERY speedy answer!

And allow me to say 'Oooops!' - of course its the Ehrenkreuz and not the KVK of an entirely (even) more unpleasent era.

Ill go Google the 'Beer Seidel' and the maker and see if I can find, which maker it is.

Thanks again for speedy answer.

If anybody else has further input, Im very interested.

?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    The medal is not a Kriegsverdienstkreuz or KVK, but actually a 1914/18 Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer.

The fob is a corps student item.

M. König, F. Schwarz, W. Dobbelmann and H. Heerlein were fellow corps students of the fob's original owner B. Peschmann. "z. frd. Erg." and "S.S." are common abbreviations on student items; they stand for, respectively, "zur freundlichen Erinnerung" [= "as a friendly memory"] and "Sommersemester" [= "summer semester"]; in this case, the summer semester of 1913. The colors of the ribbon and the cypher next to the names identify the specific corps in question.

The cross does not belong on the fob; they were surely joined at some later date.

For a little more info, have a look at this thread: Mystery Watch Fob-SS?
    Thanks!
    Super interesting - different part of the puzzle fits together with competent help.

'Sommer Semester' - great info. Who would have 'thunk' it - I certainly wouldnt have come this far by myself in such short time.

Great info all of it.

?

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Obviously, the two pieces don't belong together, as the fob is dated 1913 and the medal wasn't awarded until 1934...
    I believe the fob is civilian...either for a school or a sport's club/team...and someone just added the medal many years later...
    cheers, Glenn
    Thank you for your contribution.
    As there seems to be concensus, I dont think there is any doubt about what you say.
    Especially, when you have opinions from three people whom I strongly suspect know, what they are talking about

?

Man, if this is how fast forum member hung over the day after Christmas react, how fast are you then when you have had a full eight hours of sleep and half the food inside you!

Thanks Again to all of you.

I had a peek here
    Zipfel

and here
    Mystery Watch Fob-SS?

both of which links has HPL all over it