Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

M16 3 Color Camo - ET 66 - M17 Liner - Renmants of 2 Crosses Made of Medical Tape

Article about: This is an M16 with an M17 liner, complete with pad and cushions, but with some damage to the tongues. No chinstrap. It is a regulation 3 color camo with the black separation lines. The camo

Default M16 3 Color Camo - ET 66 - M17 Liner - Renmants of 2 Crosses Made of Medical Tape

This is an M16 with an M17 liner, complete with pad and cushions, but with some damage to the tongues. No chinstrap. It is a regulation 3 color camo with the black separation lines. The camo colors are tired, and there is some rust. There are also 2 crosses on the shell, which were originally made of medical tape. The tape was removed before I bought the piece, and the remnants are rock hard and not tacky at all. I don't know the history of the piece, so I can't say for sure what the crosses signify, but a few of my collector buddies have speculated that the crosses were for litter bearers. The tape must have been on the piece for a very long time before it was removed, because the adhesive that remained wasn't sticky at all, and did not pick up any dust or dirt that you would expect would adhere if the adhesive was at all sticky when the cloth tape was removed. My feeling is that the tape was period applied, but obviously, that is just my opinion. There is a "Snell Approved" sticker dated 1962 on the dome, probably put there by a biker in the 1960's, when it was fashionable in the USA for bikers to wear German helmets. Anyway, I like the piece, I hope you all do as well. Cheers, Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M16 3 Color Camo - ET 66 - M17 Liner - Renmants of 2 Crosses Made of Medical Tape   M16 3 Color Camo - ET 66 - M17 Liner - Renmants of 2 Crosses Made of Medical Tape  

M16 3 Color Camo - ET 66 - M17 Liner - Renmants of 2 Crosses Made of Medical Tape   M16 3 Color Camo - ET 66 - M17 Liner - Renmants of 2 Crosses Made of Medical Tape  

M16 3 Color Camo - ET 66 - M17 Liner - Renmants of 2 Crosses Made of Medical Tape   M16 3 Color Camo - ET 66 - M17 Liner - Renmants of 2 Crosses Made of Medical Tape  

M16 3 Color Camo - ET 66 - M17 Liner - Renmants of 2 Crosses Made of Medical Tape  
    Last edited by helmet2id; 03-19-2011 at 12:45 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 3 Color Camo - ET 66 - M17 Liner - Renmants of 2 Crosses Made of Medical Tape
    P
    Many

Default Re: M16 3 Color Camo - ET 66 - M17 Liner - Renmants of 2 Crosses Made of Medical Tape

Jim, nice IMO original finish M17, who knows when things (other than the biker sticker!) were applied to helmets this old, if a finish and applied decoration match the overall patina and age of the shell, then I must come to conclusion they are probably part of its wartime finish.......I must admit the biker sticker would have to go ! Thanks for showing, super helmet !
    Prost ! Steve.

Default Re: M16 3 Color Camo - ET 66 - M17 Liner - Renmants of 2 Crosses Made of Medical Tape

Nice helmet.I am sure the crosses could be remove.

chris

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    Nice helmet.I am sure the crosses could be remove.chris
    Jim, I like the crosses ! if mine, I would leave as is ........IMO Sanitatestruppen helms are very desirable !
    Prost ! Steve.

Quote by oradour View Post
    Jim, I like the crosses ! if mine, I would leave as is ........IMO Sanitatestruppen helms are very desirable !
    Prost ! Steve.
    Hi Steve, I think they have a good chance at being period, and I am leaving them as is. Thanks for your feedback. Jim G.