Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M16 Stahlhelm from the Battle of the Somme

Article about: This helmet from my collection was found about 20 years ago at a farm sale in Lincolnshire, England. A friend's brother saw it and telephoned about it asking how much it was worth and should

Default M16 Stahlhelm from the Battle of the Somme

This helmet from my collection was found about 20 years ago at a farm sale in Lincolnshire, England. A friend's brother saw it and telephoned about it asking how much it was worth and should he buy it? I advised him. So I got to buy it then from him for £28.

I was very happy with it! Indeed, I still am

The Battle of the Somme was a huge battle where the British Army lost more men in it's history in one day than ever before. This helmet must have been souvenired on that fateful day. My Grandad was actually in that battle.

As you can see the helemt has been shot through more than once. Was this true battle damage or soldiers making a better souvenir? I don't know, but it makes a great item!

Liner string is not original by the way.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M16 Stahlhelm from the Battle of the Somme   M16 Stahlhelm from the Battle of the Somme  

M16 Stahlhelm from the Battle of the Somme   M16 Stahlhelm from the Battle of the Somme  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 Stahlhelm from the Battle of the Somme
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: M16 Stahlhelm from the Battle of the Somme

Hello Ade,
    Nice helmet, I like battle damaged stuff. To look from the side of the war then a lot of questions will be answered. A lot of stuff usualy damaged in neutral territory, where both sides shooting, I've found myself such a strange items, like the cigarette case https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/other....html#post2609
    There was a lot stuff with that cigarette case all hardly damaged. Probably the owner had it in the pocket, and the dead sodier got fire from the both sides every time to be sure that this is a not a live enemy. Absolutely the same with the helmets and messkits etc.

Hi Dimas, I thought that you would like it.

Your explanation about the bullet holes could well be true.

Cheers, Ade.

These ww1 helmets are beautiful to look at , great history there Ade , and to have your granfather at that battle , what a great buzz for you , probaly not to great for him i would say , hell on earth , anyway heres one of my favorites , cheers Raymond

Warhunter
    ?

Nice Helmet !!

?

great helmets, i have started reading up on ww1 , due to starting to research my great grandads who both fought in it, 1 was in the manchesters and the other in the kings liverpool rgt 55 he was a lewis machine gunner, he was captured during a battle pretty luckily they both survived, rgds dave

Gents,

Great Battlefield pickup Lids! I have only a shell at this point and I'm on the hunt for the ever elusive Pickelhaube.

Regards,

Joel

Very nice vet bringback!
    What a miracle that leather lining is still in such a condition.
    Definately a keeper, beats mint imo!!

Yes, very nice helmet... love it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast