Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

M16 stahlhelm relic or battlefield pick-up.

Article about: Hello all, thought I would share with you my most recent aquisition which turned up a nice little surprise. Bought cheaply and sold 'In need of attention' I thought it would make a nice litt

Default M16 stahlhelm relic or battlefield pick-up.

Hello all,

thought I would share with you my most recent aquisition which turned up a nice little surprise. Bought cheaply and sold 'In need of attention' I thought it would make a nice little project. I was dissapointed when it arrived however because it looked like a relic shell that had been painted grey inside and out. In fact the paint-job didn't look all that thick (I was expecting layer upon layer) and the shell itself was quite pitted in places, particularly the left side inside and out. This has led me to think it's probably a battlefield pick-up found some years after the war where it had been laying on its left side.

M16 stahlhelm relic or battlefield pick-up. M16 stahlhelm relic or battlefield pick-up.

I was going to photograph its paint-removal and conservation in a step-by step approach but didn't bother as I expected to find nothing beneath the single grey layer other than rust. Then on careful removal of the grey I noticed a splash of yellow at the rear of the shell while the right side revealed something far more interesting. A small section of original camouflage! I know it's not the greatest example ever found but I'm really pleased with it.

M16 stahlhelm relic or battlefield pick-up. M16 stahlhelm relic or battlefield pick-up.

The right lug even has some (Flanders?) soil still plugged in it but there is no sign of any stamps anywhere inside unfortunately. I believe it is a similar helmet to one Doug B owns. Small size, no stamp and a slight rippling to the front rim. I'm assuming it's a relatively small one due to the stepped-down lug and there's still some evidence of factory finish paint on the inside where the liner band was fixed and just above.

M16 stahlhelm relic or battlefield pick-up. M16 stahlhelm relic or battlefield pick-up. M16 stahlhelm relic or battlefield pick-up. M16 stahlhelm relic or battlefield pick-up.

I've decided to leave it as is now and just apply a coat of beeswax which I hope will bring some of that camo out. I bought a small ingot of the pure stuff tonight and melted it down but it dries too quickly to work. I now assume I need some kind of beeswax polish. Any recommendations?

Cheers,

Ian.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 stahlhelm relic or battlefield pick-up.
    P
    Many

You've got a battle-worn shell with desirable camo-paint at a good price...I'd leave it as it is, it's a terrific display piece!
    cheers, Glenn

Hello Glenn,

thanks for your input friend, much appreciated. I was under the impression the beeswax was simply a protective measure for relic condition helmets. In this case you think it unnecessary?

I wouldn't use bees wax on this. If more gray paint will come off easily,
    then a light coat of WD40 will really bring out the camo. The WD40
    will eventually evaporate, leaving the surface relatively clean
    and also act as a rust inhibitor - Avoid the vent lugs.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks for the comments guys. The wax idea is only from what I have gleaned from reading what others on this forum who collect relic helmets use. In fact several recommend Renaissance Wax polish on this excellent thread here from a few years back.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imper...-camo-44907-2/

Cheers,

Ian.