Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M17 Helmet Identification Help

Article about: Hello! A local antique store has what is labeled as a M17 German Helmet with a reproduction liner and chinstrap. I personally do not mind reproduction liners but I am more worried about if t

Default M17 Helmet Identification Help

Hello!

A local antique store has what is labeled as a M17 German Helmet with a reproduction liner and chinstrap. I personally do not mind reproduction liners but I am more worried about if the shell is in fact original. Any opinions on this would be appreciated, priced at $350.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M17 Helmet Identification Help   M17 Helmet Identification Help  

M17 Helmet Identification Help   M17 Helmet Identification Help  

M17 Helmet Identification Help  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M17 Helmet Identification Help
    P
    Many

?

A liner that hurts!

The liner is in upside down, a leather liner band would make it an M16 lid.

It's worth 1/2 the asking price at best if the paint is original & if it still had the original split pins IMO.
    D

Everyone will have their own opinion, but I can't see the point of putting in a repro liner unless the buyer was a reinactor and wanted to wear it. It certainly doesn't help it display better. With this one there is a jarring clash between new leather and old patina steel. Not a good look, IMO, especially as Gunny points out, its upside down.

Hi, all been said really...original helmet marked ET66 ...ET for the Esienhuettenwerke Thale Ag as the manufacturer and 66 being the size of the helmet shell. Price way too much for the lid offer $175 and throw away the liner or wait for a better one to come along ! Hope that helps Cheers Tony