Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Is this a m18 ore a m16 ??

Article about: Hello, I bought this helmet cheap online. But im not sure what model it is. Is this a m18 or a m16? What is the differents between these 2 models ? The white paint is post war isnt it? Thank

Jj Bluming
    ?

Default Is this a m18 ore a m16 ??

Hello,

I bought this helmet cheap online. But im not sure what model it is.
    Is this a m18 or a m16? What is the differents between these 2 models ?
    The white paint is post war isnt it?
    Thanks for your help.

2. # ADS

Default Re: Is this a m18 ore a m16 ??

It is an M16/17. The M16/17 had chinstrap lugs on the skirt and the M18 does not. The only difference between M16 and M17 lids is the 16's had leather liner bands and the 17's had steel. Obviously we cannot tell which yours was since it is missing. Maybe painted white for post war civil defence.

M16. The age of the white paint - I don't know but I suspect that it is not period. Check around the rivet holes first, if there is no ring where the rivet heads rested it is definitely post war.

Can't add much more to what has been said already. M16/17 in a size 66 or bigger. I would say the white paint is postwar. Looks like its sat upside down for awhile to

Jason

Quote by VolksJager View Post
    Can't add much more to what has been said already. M16/17 in a size 66 or bigger. I would say the white paint is postwar. Looks like its sat upside down for awhile to

Jason
    Nice spot on the vent lugs

A nice white flower pot maybe? A good shell for restoration if you so desire.

Jj Bluming
    ?

Thanks for the reply, yes a flower pot could be.
    I was asking for the paint cause i dont want to ruin original paint.
    But now i know its postwar i;m going to take it off and paint it again, for my own collection.

Jj...have a look on the inside of the helmet near to the M91 style chinstrap mounts there will be a impressed/stamped mark...for example "ET66" this will give you the maker and size (although looking at yours, the shape of the lugs, it will be a size 66 or 68, as already stated)....you may have to remove some of the white paint...you could restore, the correct shade of WW1 green/grey is available as are M16/17 liners and of course chinstraps, they are the same as on the Pickelhaube (spiked leather helmets). It may of been used post WW1 as many were...but it will of been made and used during the Great War.
    Prost ! Steve.

Jj,

If the MM and size doesn't show up, there is another way to figure out what size of helmet it is. Measuring across the front (with a cloth tape) center to center of the holes for the liner pins, a size 66 will measure around seven inches and a size 68 will measure around seven and one half. That way if you restore your helmet, you will know what size of liner is needed.

Anton

PS. I'm not at home presently and thinking about the size I stated, it's been some time since I used that method and now have doubts on if it's 6 - 6 1/2 or 7 - 7 1/2. BUT it will be one of those. (My old age setting in!! )

Didn't some of the Irish Vickers contract German-style helmets have white paint? I know they didn't All have shield clips on the front.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Members who have read this thread: 1