Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1894 Hebel Flare gun

Article about: Ladies & Gents...a recent purchase, a rather large/cumbersome M1894 "Hebel" flare gun, the "Hebel" reference is not the maker of the pistol, (this gun was made by the

Default M1894 Hebel Flare gun

Ladies & Gents...a recent purchase, a rather large/cumbersome M1894 "Hebel" flare gun, the "Hebel" reference is not the maker of the pistol, (this gun was made by the firm "Dapag") but in German, refers to the lever action opening of the gun. It is fitted with front and rear sights, which is not the norm...When I bought the gun it was described as thus :- "WW1 German Air Force Luftstreitkräfte Balloon Pistol Flare/signal Pistol pistol of the Imperial Fliegertruppen. It has sights fitted so it could be used to fire flares/projectiles at British observation baloons and other aircraft. Has Dapag makers marks and low three digit Serial number.Deactivation certificate included, cocks and dry fires. There are theories to what else these could be used for including anti tank weapons and gas projectile pistols but Luft usage only one with solid provenance, it is identical to an example in the Berlin Technology Museum, which has the same description." However I have since been informed that many of these guns were re-issued in WW2 and these guns were fitted with front/rear sights......so a romantic view of the gun or a raw realisation of the needs in WW2 ? what do think ? These guns were carried by the German air service...I show a "holster" attached to the side of a Fokker aircraft.
    It is of course deactivated to U.K. specs, but very crudely, just the hammer shaved and a large piece of rod welded at the begining of the breech/barrel, as a good friend said, "easily removed in 5 minutes"...and I said "and more than 5 minutes at her majesty's pleasure !"
    I also show an example (not mine) complete with signal flare cartridges. Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1894 Hebel Flare gun   M1894 Hebel Flare gun  

M1894 Hebel Flare gun   M1894 Hebel Flare gun  

M1894 Hebel Flare gun  
    Last edited by oradour; 11-11-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Default Re: M1894 Hebel Flare gun

Nice Hebel, mate! Luckily flare guns don't have to be deactivated, here in Belgium.
    How much do they go for in the U.K.?

Regards

?

Very nice ! Great info and mystery come with this gun !

Kind regards
    Alex

Quote by Ingrid Patrouille View Post
    Nice Hebel, mate! Luckily flare guns don't have to be deactivated, here in Belgium.
    How much do they go for in the U.K.?

Regards
    Hi Ingrid,

There are four of these Hebel flare pistols on 'Gunstar' at the moment ranging from around £250-£350 a piece.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

very nice steve looks like it needs a bit of a clean down the barrel
    ingrid dealers sell for £250-£350 but private sellers are usually £150-£200

tom

Very cool piece
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Thanks Ned!
    In good condition, they cost about 120 euros here in Belgium.

Regards

Ingrid, both Ned & Tom are correct with their valuations...I was lucky to get this one for £150 ! from "Gunstar" a bargain I thought ! Prost ! Steve.

Thanks Steve! It is a great looking piece!

Regards

Dapag is one of the Manufacturers that had low production numbers. It is a good find.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast