Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1895 Piklehaube

Article about: Hi all saw this 1895 (Prussian Guard??) Piklehaube in a local gun shop and couldn't resist!!! first off its missing its spike of course...its hole has an old cork wedged in it!!! ... and a f

Default M1895 Picklehaube (now belived to be M1887)

Hi all saw this 1895 (Prussian Guard??) Picklehaube in a local gun shop and couldn't resist!!! (Now identified as actually more likely an M1887!! Thanks to you guys!!
    first off its missing its spike of course...its hole has an old cork wedged in it!!! ... and a few other parts look incorrect!!?? (studs for the also missing strap) but plus point!! ...cokardes have been held in place by the hooks and not lost!!! it has markings to the tail visor??? and a date which looks more like 1887??? than 1897!!!!
    front and rear visor stitching is intact too "bonus"!!!!!! its is however a little misshapen but I have it fitted to a head sculpt to try to rectify this!!!!
    I hope with a bit of your excellent expert knowledge and help.... and also a fair bit of work!! it should eventually look pretty good!!!
    if you could please also let me know which of the missing parts would be correct for this model (i.e. scaled chinstrap ..or not!????)
    many thanks!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1895 Piklehaube   M1895 Piklehaube  

M1895 Piklehaube   M1895 Piklehaube  

M1895 Piklehaube  
    Last edited by austromunga; 01-19-2015 at 11:08 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M1895 Piklehaube
    P
    Many

looks very nice now,don't over restore it.

?

That is not a M1895 .The date you are seeing might be 1887. That looks like a M1887 haube. I believe, but those didn't have the brass trimed visior. The M1895 had the air vent on the rear spine and the chin stap attached useing a cut out circle with a V notch cut out fitting
    Love the wappen on it!!!!!!
    I'm also wondering if this is a artillery model and it did not have the spike but a ball on top.
    Here have a look at this site and decide where yours falls into place.
    German Pickelhaube Spiked Helmet Evolution Guide
    Semper Fi
    Phil

A very nice helmet (but I can't evaluate if it's authentic).

IMO, it's a helmet mod 1887 of the Garde Regimenter zu Fuß (foot guard regiments) of Prussia, 2nd to 4th regiment because of it's yellow (golden) eagle, spike and other fittings/parts, on the contrary, the 1st and 5th had a white (silver) eagle, spike and other fittings/parts. The helmet could be of a Garde Grenadier Regiment too, since 1889 those regiments had also this kind of eagle. The Garde kept the brass trimed visor in 1887. The curved spike base was intended to change the spike against a plume. It's a helmet of an enlistet man. How are the letters in the rear rim?

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    Last edited by Alter Musketier; 01-21-2015 at 09:51 PM.
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

Another very interesting link about spiked helmets, the site of "Colonel J's Pickelhaubes", also wiht Kammer Mark List:

articles main

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

Hi all
    Thanks for your comments!!! and thanks for the Excellent links... Phil and alter musketeer!!!! a lot of information to sift through though!!!! but so far it seems as if it is an 1887 haube!!! (had no idea how early these could be!!) and plus side the chinstrap side peg/hooks are correct!!!
    This does however mean that the chin strap I now need is a lot more scarce!!!
    now the marks on the rear rim are quite faded (is there anyway of making them more clear like a very gentle clean.. but with out causing any damage!!)
    but look like C ,E or F. G, P or R then two more letters (too feint to decipher) and over the top impressed 1887, on the other side of the spine retaining screw seems to be an impressed 2 ??? size?? its very small!!
    the Garde star to the wappen is actually a silver colour!! photos show different yellow shade for some reason!!

?

You are quite welcome!!
    I have never tried it, but I heard that using an ultraviolet/Black light helps see faded markings with no damage to the material.
    That is a great pick up and yes the chinstrap will be a bit harder to locate. But the cockards are intact so that's a bonus!!!!
    I really like the swept wings on that wappen. Good luck in your search
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 01-21-2015 at 12:16 AM.

One addition about the chinstrap. A scaled version was the kind usually had to be used by the Guard, only in times of mobilisation a chinstrap of leather should be used.

With best wishes
    alter musketier

A very nice looking helmet!

Congratulations on a very hard to find helmet!

You should be able to find a spike for it. The chinstrap will be quite a bit harder to find. I think it's been 2-3 years since I've seen a chinstrap for sale for one of these.

It will be worth the wait to find the chinstrap, as you'll have a very nice helmet once it is completed again. Again, congratulations on this great find!

Best Regards,

Alan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast